PDA

View Full Version : Back paint nightmares

golf-fan
06-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Hello people,

I`m new in here and have a problem to share in hope of some advice.

I own a black Golf in perfect shape but the paint has a really weird effect. It`s been polished and waxed and looks fantastic in the shade. However, when direct sunlight (or light at night) shines on it these strange lines appear as if deep under the clear cloat to create a "bowling ball" type effect - the lines look like that sprayed effect in colored bowling balls under the surface. It is really aggravating and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

White95Max
06-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Please post pictures of this strange "bowling ball" occurrence. I have no idea what you`re talking about.

golf-fan
06-04-2005, 04:29 PM
That`s what I was thinking - hard te describe. I will take some pictures and post them soon. Thanks for your reply.

J.J.
06-04-2005, 04:36 PM
I think I know kinda` what you are talking about. It usually occurs when nuba` paste waxes aren`t applied thin enough, and therefore, are not removed well enough. It usually leaves the appearance you describe. Have you tried a QD and soft MF to remove or change the look?

JJ

golf-fan
06-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks for your reply. It was polished and waxed with a rotary. They used liquid wax and it actually improved somewhat - the effect is not as bad as it was, so you`re probably right about it being residue of some sort. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is QD?

White95Max
06-04-2005, 04:49 PM
QD = Quick Detail spray. It`s a spray that slickens the paint and can lightly clean the surface. QDs often help with removal of polish residue.

golf-fan
06-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Aha! I`m gonna have to learn the acronyms. I actually have a bottle of Meguiars QD and 3M MF somewhere, so I`ll try that and see what happens. Anyway, I`ll take some pictures soon and post so you guys can see better what I`m trying to describe. Thanks for your help.

imported_themightytimmah
06-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Holograms maybe? Those come from improper rotary use. They`re pretty easy to buff out, if the QD doesn`t improve things.

imported_Burlyq
06-04-2005, 05:03 PM
I wouldn`t necessarily say holograms are from improper use, I get them a lot of times. It kinda goes with using big pads and aggresive polishes with the rotary. You are right though that is exactly what it sounds like, you would be suprised how many pro shops leave cars with a great finish but some holograming underneath. They are easily corrected with a Final Polishing and lesser agresive polish. Think about it, if your a pro and doing many cars, do you really feel like doind another step? It is really tricky to find a good one step that removes swirls and sets a mirror shine.

golf-fan
06-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Holograms! I believe that is the proper word for the effect I`m trying to describe. I feel better knowing it`s not a major problem. So it`s all about spending those extra hours to get the perfect look! I`ll get to work, see how it goes and post some before and after pics. Once again, thanks guys. This is an excellent message board.