PDA

View Full Version : Integra Problems

SROL
06-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Okee, I`m an extreme novice to this whole detailing business. In fact, I don`t even have a rotary. I plan on buying one some day but for now, I`d just like some simple pointers on how to fix this little problem.

I have a Black 95 Acura Integra I`m wanting to sell. It`s paint is bad. I`d like some tips on how to make it look better. I want to do everything I can to the paint without having to repaint it. If possible, give me a step-by-step approach even with using a rotary so one day I can use this car as my guinnea pig.

Here are some pictures of the car before I washed or clayed it:

I think the hood might be "fixable"

http://www.binaryfetish.com/srol/autopia/DSCF0080.JPG

This needs to be repainted...

http://www.binaryfetish.com/srol/autopia/DSCF0084.JPG

Here are some more pictures of what happened to the sunroof and roof itself. (http://www.binaryfetish.com/srol/autopia/) I know the sunroof also needs to be repainted, but I need to fix it first ..

Again, any help would be appreciated.

imported_themightytimmah
06-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Ouch! Personally I`d sand it with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, then compound it. However, you sound a little bit inexperienced, so heres a regimen you can do quite easily that will improve things forsure.

Meguiar`s #83 DACP by PC and light cutting pad

Meg`s #80 by PC and polishing pad

Clearkote Vanilla Moose via hand

S100 carnuba by hand

SpoiledMan
06-03-2005, 07:39 PM
You`re going to need to repaint that hood. I`m pretty sure that what I`m seeing is clear coat failure.

SROL
06-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

You`re going to need to repaint that hood. I`m pretty sure that what I`m seeing is clear coat failure.

Yep, it`s definitely clear coat failure, I have the same problem on the roof. And the same thing happening on the roof of another car. Hopefully, I can get everything looking better when/if I get a rotary.

Originally posted by themightytimmah

Ouch! Personally I`d sand it with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit, then compound it. However, you sound a little bit inexperienced, so heres a regimen you can do quite easily that will improve things forsure.

Meguiar`s #83 DACP by PC and light cutting pad

Meg`s #80 by PC and polishing pad

Clearkote Vanilla Moose via hand

S100 carnuba by hand

I`m going to try those steps, but leave the sanding out for now. I`ve had a bad experience with wetsanding after one genius told me that 800 grit would work fine and not scuff the paint.

But since I`m still really new to this whole thing, would Autozone have those types of pads and chemicals? I don`t really have any carcare specialty shops around...

SpoiledMan
06-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Sounds like you have decided to go ahead and polish the car. If I were you, I would skip the 83 and do a couple rounds of 80 and then apply coats of Tech Wax until you can get rid of the car. NOTHING is going to last more than a couple weeks at the most on paint at that stage. I`d even go so far as to say that about every 5-7 days apply another coat of Tech Wax.

SROL
06-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

Sounds like you have decided to go ahead and polish the car. If I were you, I would skip the 83 and do a couple rounds of 80 and then apply coats of Tech Wax until you can get rid of the car. NOTHING is going to last more than a couple weeks at the most on paint at that stage. I`d even go so far as to say that about every 5-7 days apply another coat of Tech Wax.

Haha, well it sounds like I have my work cut out for me.. I looked into repainting the hood and it looks as if replacing it with an OEM-style carbon fiber hood will cost around the same price as repainting. At least I have something to practice some rotary skills on.

Thanks for the help everybody.