PDA

View Full Version : What`s best to put on side trim?

Pages : [1] 2

madman
12-23-2004, 07:01 PM
I saw this question in some other thread and realized I had the same problem as the one who posted it. Unfortunately, the question was never answered. So, I though I`d try to ask the guys at DC.

My ride, a green 98 5-door Toyota RAV4, has a considerable amount of gray-silver trim on its sides. When I detail the vehicle, can I not also apply the polish and sealant on the trim (like what I do on the paint) instead of a trim cleaner, or must I stick to using a trim cleaner/enhancer/protectant?

And as a corollary: is there no combination polish/sealant then trim cleaner/enhancer/protectant approach for the side trims?

Thanks.

mgm2003
12-23-2004, 07:37 PM
I really like using poorboys trim restore (to remove fade/wax), then top it with poorboys bold n bright. They are both awesome products. Use a foam paint brush to apply.

G35stilez
12-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Another vote for PB Trim Restorer.

Pick up some GR-40 trim cleaner first from www.topoftheline.com ...Arguably the best cleaner in the business. Just top it off with TR for a deep, dark sheen.

Nickc0844
12-23-2004, 08:31 PM
In all this process, are you looking for UV protection?

Hawaiianelement
12-23-2004, 09:22 PM
I use PB`s Natural Look on my Honda Element . It runs after a rain because its water base but its worth it..

madman
12-24-2004, 03:43 AM
I really like using poorboys trim restore (to remove fade/wax), then top it with poorboys bold n bright. They are both awesome products. Use a foam paint brush to apply.

Trim restorer it is. Then, I suppose that polish/sealant have no place in the detailing of those trims on the side of my car?

madman
12-24-2004, 03:52 AM
Oh, and Nick, yes, I am looking for UV protection.

Poorboy
12-24-2004, 11:50 AM
I saw this question in some other thread and realized I had the same problem as the one who posted it. Unfortunately, the question was never answered. So, I though I`d try to ask the guys at DC.

My ride, a green 98 5-door Toyota RAV4, has a considerable amount of gray-silver trim on its sides. When I detail the vehicle, can I not also apply the polish and sealant on the trim (like what I do on the paint) instead of a trim cleaner, or must I stick to using a trim cleaner/enhancer/protectant?

And as a corollary: is there no combination polish/sealant then trim cleaner/enhancer/protectant approach for the side trims?

Thanks.

are talking about painted trim , like the truck or is is hard grained plastic...?
UV protection will do absolutely nothing for it...UV protection is for soft vinyl and leather that can get hard and crack if it is not well maintained:hippi

madman
12-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Merry Christmas to one and all!

Poorboy, the trim that I refer to is plastic. While it may not be of the same material as the bumper, it is certainly of the same color.

Hawaiianelement
12-24-2004, 07:25 PM
Merry Christmas to one and all!

Poorboy, the trim that I refer to is plastic. While it may not be of the same material as the bumper, it is certainly of the same color.

sorry madman I thought you were talking about non-painted stuff. I f its painted then go with wax or sealant or both .. :)

madman
12-25-2004, 05:39 AM
I was actually inclined to go the polish/sealant way. But when I was about to do it, it occurred to me that these things were actually trimmings/mouldings on the side of the car. That`s why I hesitated.

Now, I`m confused.

-------------
Originally Posted by mgm2003
--------------

Is it possible that mgm2003 was referring to black or nonpainted trim?

Poorboy
12-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Don`t be confused...if it`s smooth and painted then treat it like the rest of the car....if it`s grained and unpainted then treat it like trim.

madman
12-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Here. I managed to find a photo of the vehicle I was referring to. While the color of the paint is not green, this will do just as well.

My problem refers to the lower 2/5 of the doors, which is a grayish silver. The color is continuous with the bumpers. That`s not exactly the body of the RAV4 anymore. And it`s not metal, either, as I have double-checked this with the use of a household magnet.

My predicament: do I use polish/sealant on this lower 2/5 of the doors (and the bumpers)? Or do I use trim restorer.

I really apologize for my ignorance. I`m very willing to learn. I hope somebody can help.

madman
12-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Don`t be confused...if it`s smooth and painted then treat it like the rest of the car....if it`s grained and unpainted then treat it like trim.

Poorboy, you posted your last message just when I was uploading the photo. I think what you said makes things a lot clearer. Thanks.

Nickc0844
12-26-2004, 03:30 PM
Your absolutely right Madman, treat it like you would your paint. It`s clearcoated plastic (I should have picked up on that when you said along the lines of grey, silverish trim). Polish, wax/seal, and you`ll be good to go my friend :bigups