PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars X-3000 Wash Mitt

paulisher
06-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Has anybody tested this wash mitt to see if it is really 100% cotton vs. a blend?

http://www.autogeek.net/x3000.html

Thanks.

JasonD
06-01-2005, 10:01 PM
PrinzII has one, try PM`ing him to bring this thread to his attention. I just read his review on the Autopia Car Care site, and it sounds like a very nice mitt.

SpoiledMan
06-01-2005, 10:33 PM
It`s cotton and sheds like crazy so far. I have washed it twice and the shedding is still not acceptable. Otherwise it`s very soft, holds a lot of wash solution and rinses well. Did I mention the shedding problem?

buellwinkle
06-01-2005, 11:29 PM
Does not sound good. Their sheepskin mitt isn`t much better. I love the ones I got at Costco for 3 for $7 if I remember correctly. I put them in the washing machine and they still look flufffy like new. The Meg`s mitt doesn`t hold up as well.

paulisher
06-01-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

PrinzII has one, try PM`ing him to bring this thread to his attention. I just read his review on the Autopia Car Care site, and it sounds like a very nice mitt.

Thanks for the heads up on that...

It is so hard to find 100% cotton mitts anymore. I have been using up my old stock of Vikings but I am probably going to switch to the Eurow Sheepskin just because it is available and recommended. I really like the Viking 100% Cotton mitts. Being in Oregon sometimes the rain and dirt get the car pretty dirty in between washes.

I haven`t seen the Costco mitt`s, I don`t remember seeing them there. I did see a MF mitt they had.

Thanks for the replies.

imported_hadboosttroy
06-02-2005, 12:13 AM
i have the microfiber mitts from costco. tend to hold dirt way to easy for me, and hard to rinse clean. wal-mart had some decent sheepskins, i bought one. i hate wal-mart but i needed one.

paulisher
06-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I dropped an e-mail to Meguiars asking them if they were 100% cotton...their response...not 100% cotton...

First I would like to thank you for your interest in Meguiar`s products and I hope that your car care experience is an enjoyable one.

X-3000 is a very high blend of cotton and other materials. That wash mitt is not quite 100% but is very high in cotton. It is totally safe to use of your finish and has the Meguiar`s guarantee on it.

I hope this information has helped you in your car care process. We here at Meguiar`s wish you the best and hope to answer any questions you may have in the future.

the other pc
06-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by SpoiledMan

It`s cotton and sheds like crazy so far. I have washed it twice and the shedding is still not acceptable. Otherwise it`s very soft, holds a lot of wash solution and rinses well. Did I mention the shedding problem? Yeah, but does it shed? :D

PC.

SpoiledMan
06-02-2005, 03:56 PM
With all that shedding I wonder how it could be anything but cotton. I spoke with a customer service rep this morning and was told that one of the things that they will be doing to help with the shedding is to change the label to "wash before using." Other than the shedding, I like it lots as it`s very soft and has caused no visible marring on a black Lexus that I used it on.

I will add that I am a product reviewer for Meguiar`s but I think it`s obvious that my opinion is mine and honest.

JasonD
06-02-2005, 04:32 PM
I retain my cotton mitts for heavily soiled vehicles only. I find that no matter how delicate I am with it, there seems to always be some washing induced marring left behind. I try to use a sheepskin on 99% of all my washes.

Spilchy
06-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

I retain my cotton mitts for heavily soiled vehicles only.

Use your older sheepskins for this instead.

Sheepskins are so cheap that every other month, I`ll pluck one or two great ones from WalMart and rotate older ones for grungier work.

I ditched cotton ages ago. In fact I have genuine 100% cotton Viking mitts from the product recall they had a couple years ago that I still haven`t used. They really weren`t cotton so you could send them back and get new ones and a free mitt to cover shipping.

RuffRyder
06-02-2005, 07:29 PM
I use this mitt and I like it. It seems to grab dirt and hold it very tight (close to the backing) of the deep pile. But yes, the one thing that I truly hate about this thing is that it sheds like a mofo. I`ve washed it twice and it`s still really bad. Although I don`t want to continue on the question (read: euphemism for fierce debate) of sheepskin vs. cotton, I use it because I like to use Accumulator`s washing method and you can`t really do it with sheepskin.

I kind of feel mislead that it`s not 100% cotton as I thought it was when I bought it! :mad:

the other pc
06-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I wouldn`t be surprised if the chenille is 100% cotton but they can`t say that the product is due to the stitching and cuff. Since only the chenille touches the paint it wouldn`t be an issue.

PC.

imported_Jinba ittai
06-03-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Smitty

I dropped an e-mail to Meguiars asking them if they were 100% cotton...their response...not 100% cotton...

Well, it`s pretty poor that they advertise it as being 100% cotton! :angry

I found that finding a true 100% cotton chenille mitt was impossible. I wound up buying 2 Turtle Wax sheepskin mitts from Pep Boys that I really love. They`ve been washed a number of times and still look good as new (I wash by hand and air-dry) and are as thick and fluffy as when I bought them.

Stay away from the VROOM sheepskin mitts. I found some scary things in those mitts and the chenille mitts look horrible. :shocked

I recently purchased a MF mitt from DF Towels that I`m going to try. Anyone use this mitt?