PDA

View Full Version : Best hiding on black?

imported_animes2k
06-01-2005, 11:15 AM
I`ve got a friend/client that wants me to work on his pearl black Audi TT... Fair enough, it should clean up nicely... except...

1) Audi clear is reputed to be one of (if not THE) hardest clears

2) It`s black. Black = extra work for the autopian standard

3) One door and fender has been replaced. His body shop claims to have gotten them pre-painted from Audi... I can`t imagine that, but what do i know?

Considering the hardness of the clear, the likely difference in hardness on the repaint (what I believe to be is actually a repaint) and the fact that he just wants it to be "clean and shiny" and doesn`t want to pay the extra for the "paint restoration", I`d like to throw something on that will give very nice depth and gloss and do a very good job of hiding the defects on Black.

I was thinking some sort of glaze (to hide) followed by Souveran (for gloss and depth).

Any thoughts are more than welcome.

MS22
06-01-2005, 11:20 AM
VM and CMW will work to hide some of the imperfections and look nearly as good as the VM and Souveran while not depleting your supply of expensive wax on an unprepped car.

imported_animes2k
06-01-2005, 11:45 PM
I guess I should have specified what I have on hand along these lines...

GEPC, P21S

Meg: #7, #80...#16, #24

AIO, SG, NXT paste, Zaino

Souveran

I`m thinking IF I go synthetic, it`d be AIO + NXT, spit shined or finished up with my sample of DP gloss.

I`m considering GEPC + P21S, since I haven`t tried this combo yet (just got the GEPC) but know P21S kicks some butt.

Like I said, I`m not going to bust out the 83 unless there are a couple of bad scratches (hit it with the 4" on the DA).

Thanks for the suggestion, MS. Some people are really fond of the Moose stuff... I can`t help but think of Harry & David`s Moose Munch every time I read "VM"

I`ll let you know how it goes.

Lowejackson
06-02-2005, 04:44 AM
It would be highly unusual to get a panel pre-painted

jetskie
06-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Animes, pre painted sounds BS to me. I have never seen or heard of it. As far as what you have on hand your best bet is the #80 followed up by #7 then top with your P21S or Souvern. #80 would remove lots of the swrils and the #7 fills in the ones you don`t remove. You can replace the #7 with GEPC. If you don`t remove all of the swrils and still want to go with a syntrhetic I would use NXT compared Ziano or SG as NXT hides the swrils way better. If you take your time with #80 a light cut pad (LC orange) and follow with a polishing pad you should remove the swrils so you don`t have to worry about hiding swrils.

imported_themightytimmah
06-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I`ve gotta put a word in for the new Poorboy`s Blue Natty`s over a glaze. I put it on my GTP (108,000 miles, winter driven, god knows what else), and I`ve challenged a few non-autopian friends to find a defect. No one has yet (other then a few door dings, there isnt a glaze in the world that`ll hide those :()

imported_animes2k
06-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Well, I hadn`t anticipated spending so much time on the interior (UGH!) or the wheels (you mean they`re not actually painted?) and spent so much time claying to horizontal surfaces (um... ugh) that I just wanted to get it over with, as I was already too many hours in.

I went with the GEPC on a SFX2 4" polishing pad after clay and there was a serious difference. I hadn`t noticed a big difference on the blue car I tried GEPC on originally, but it made a huge difference on the black. I topped with Souveran, just for the hell of it. He doesn`t drive the car much. I`ll be posting some pics over in the Click n Brag... exhausted.