PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Removing-and-VM/CMW Combo Question

RonTL
05-31-2005, 11:18 PM
I bought a 2001 black honda civic a couple months ago. I used einszett 1zup and 1zpp on my hood and trunk to remove swirls. I went over it oncce with 1zup and about 3 times with 1zpp and then finished off with sonus pwc. About 90% of the swirls went away, but about 1 month later, they return.

So i take it that it`s just mostly the fillers that are covering up the swirls. I need a good product recomendation to remove swirls! :up

Also i use vm and cmw. This combo is suppose to be nice on dark paint (especially black) from all the posts that i`ve read, but its not what i expected. Doesn`t look like the pictures in all the forums of the black cars. It doesn`t look good in the direct sun, but when the sun isn`t bright, it looks wet. lol That may be due to the swirls though.

Any advice would be appreciated. :xyxthumbs

RonTL
05-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Would prefer a swirl remover that can be purchased at autozone, advance auto etc.

Bioman
05-31-2005, 11:37 PM
From what I have read, VM is not very abrasive. If you really want to get rid of swirls, get Menzerna FP and IP. They also have no fillers and are pretty cheap. If you want OTC products, go with 3M compounds. I have heard nothing but good things about them.

A little off topic but, is CMW worth it? I have a bottle of #26 laying around, but was interested in CMW. I don`t want to waste my money if they end up looking the same. Thanks.

RonTL
05-31-2005, 11:49 PM
CMW gives a nice wet look on my friends red grand am, but I just cant get that on my black civic because i guess it just needs more prepping. I want a nice wet look and also some shine.

Friend told me that my car needs the 3 step meg crystal system on it, because his car looks better than mine and is shinier :angry Just dont know why im not getting my paints full potential.

As of right now, i have a PC, sonus orange-green-blue and black pads, 1zup, 1zpp, sonus pwc, VM, nxt tech wax, and CMW.

I just need a good recommended swirl remover. I have 1zup and 1zpp, but in my opinion, they dont do a great job on swirl removal, they just fill the swirls in, but the 1z is great for oxidation.

Anyone know if they have good meg polishes at autozone or advance? I would just drive there to see, but its 1 hr away :eek:

Wasatch
06-01-2005, 08:11 AM
CMW is a very easy product to use, and you should get some great results.

RonTL
06-01-2005, 11:04 AM
LOL, yeah i know i should get great results, but im not. That`s what my problem is. I think its due to my swirls. You know, prep is the key. :xyxthumbs Yeah i`ved used it on my friends cars with great result. Im going to get a sealant to try with it also.

gav'spurplez
06-01-2005, 12:05 PM
if you want a swirl remover that can be found at a parts store, try megs #9.

it is not all that bad, i use it with the PC and a yellow cma pad.

the VM and CMW combo is nice, used it on mine after some SSR2.5

pics in the click and brag section :xyxthumbs

Scottwax
06-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Honestly, bite the bullet and order some Poorboy`s SSR2.5, Optimum Polish or Meguiars DACP (not sure of the Menzerna equivalents). If you don`t remove the swirls your finish will never reach its full potential.

My 626 was horribly swirled, scuffed and scratched when I got it. At this point, I probably have more than 25 hours of polishing over the course of a year or so into it. The angle of the sun isn`t exactly the same (first pic was taken in late November and 2nd in early spring) but yes, the finish has improved that much. Even my kids noticed when I picked them up for the summer and I`d already done the initial polishing.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/8781999_mazda_before.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/878my626_after1.jpg

As you can see from the door in the first pic, the paint was so bad in the direct sun it didn`t look very black at all.

RonTL
06-02-2005, 11:29 AM
thanks scott..:bow ..thats awsome. Im really going to have to order me some pb ssr2.5.:xyxthumbs Glad my cars not that bad :eek:

Im went ahead and bought some meg #9 locally and im going to try that, but it will probably be too mild seeing that it doesn`t have abrasives, right? Its just solvent based. Im still going to order the ssr though :D

RonTL
06-02-2005, 11:32 AM
by the way scott or anyone else.......have you tried meg #20/cmw? I love the wet look of vm/cmw, but i need some shine.

Scottwax
06-02-2005, 09:35 PM
#9 does have diminishing abrasives but they just aren`t very aggressive. I`ve never tried #20/CMW but I have tried it with #16 and Nattys.