PDA

View Full Version : Pollen alert...

wannafbody
05-31-2005, 07:52 PM
I just read that pollen is corrosive to paint. I never knew that. thought I`d pass it along.

Maknmony
05-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Man is it bad this year too..

Sellncars

buellwinkle
05-31-2005, 08:18 PM
Is pollen the yellow/golden deposit I find on my car that`s about 1/8" diameter and is the consistancy of clay and I have to use my fingernail to scrape off?

wannafbody
05-31-2005, 08:37 PM
yes and do not use your fingernail to scrape it off-you will scratch the paint-use a clay bar

imported_animes2k
05-31-2005, 09:04 PM
that sounds like sap. or you have some seriously different pollen out that way. The pollen we get out here is mostly tree and grass pollen and it`s a light greenish powder that (on a clean car) a CCD will sweep off without a problem, but will definitely coat your car in an hour ... friggin stuff.

buellwinkle
05-31-2005, 09:38 PM
No, it`s not tree sap as the car is parked where there`s no trees and at work it`s in an underground parking lot. I`m in the O.C. so it`s not like we have an excessive amount of trees around and most on my block are palm trees.

My neighbor thinks it`s poop from either a large insect or a small bird like a hummingbird. Any ideas?

imported_topnotch
06-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Pollen is corrosive, I was talking to a chemistry teacher not too long ago and we were talking about detailing. He told me to pitch that pollen is corrosive to customers so I can get them onto a regular wash schedule. I ask him how could this be? He answered that the pollen itself is not going to most likely negatively affect the paint but when combined with water it activates it and will begin to work harm onto the paint. Basically if its going to rain either clean the car before or right after it rains.

vprdak
06-01-2005, 10:41 AM
buellwinkle, the deposits you find on your car are most likely bee poop... And yes it is extremely corrosive... You could do a search on it, as it has been the topic of several past threads..

MrDetail
06-01-2005, 11:28 AM
What protects you best from pollen? A carnuba or synthetic?

imported_topnotch
06-01-2005, 11:36 AM
A carnuba will let the pollen better stick to your car 9 times out of 10, I have found that klasse sg is the best to fight the pollen but that too is a losing battle.

mdsmithers
06-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Yes, I have KSG on mine and it will still look like a tennis ball after a few hours, but the pollen around here is not as bad now as it was a month ago.

ttapin
06-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Pollen around here in south jersey is still brutal, not as bad as a month ago but nevertheless still a PITA.

Lou G

buellwinkle
06-01-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks, that helps. Now I need to get some ultrasonic device that repels bees from my car...

Originally posted by vprdak

buellwinkle, the deposits you find on your car are most likely bee poop... And yes it is extremely corrosive... You could do a search on it, as it has been the topic of several past threads..

STBear
06-01-2005, 09:11 PM
I`m tired of all the pollen in SE PA. Wind,rain and pollen suck. The CCD is getting a workout.