PDA

View Full Version : What pads to buy with PC?

VW love.:R
05-31-2005, 05:19 AM
I am about to buy a PC and i need to know what pads to order as well. i want to get all the necessary pads for a full detail. also, recommend certain brand names and your experiences please. Thank you :)

sQuashed
05-31-2005, 07:26 AM
Two of each of the Sonus Pads (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/sonussfxpads.html) works for me. And dont forget you need the velcro backing plate too.

Alfisti
05-31-2005, 07:45 AM
I use just about *every* pad around. I`ve used Sonus DAS and SFX, LC VC and DA pads, and Megs. I haven`t tried the Propel pads which I`ve heard are equal to Sonus DAS pads.

My recommendations are:

Medium cut

Sonus Orange DAS (a bit firm at first and feels weird but works aggressively, and leaves a great finish)

LC Orange VC pad (curved surface takes a little getting use to, but if you can master it, its` raised egde cuts better than anything without inducing too much hazing)

Propel Orange (not tried this but heard its similar to Sonus orange)

Light cut

Sonus green DAS (just lovely)

Megs yellow (nothing wrong with this one)

LC white DA (good work-horse with a bit more cut - halfway to medium cut - than the previous two)

Propel green (not tried this but heard its similar to Sonus green)

The Sonus SFX are a bit unusual. I haven`t tried them very much but all leave a good finish, even the most aggressive yellow pad. They feel a tad different to work with, providing more polish wetness and work time. I really want to like these but haven`t had enough experience to make a recommendation - sorry.

*My* pick from the above, with *my* experience with each pad`s quirks, would be different from what I`d recommend to a neophite.

For the newb I`d say: Propel orange and green (or Sonus DAS green).

I hope this helps.

buellwinkle
05-31-2005, 08:09 AM
Meguairs has a kit with the backing pad and 3 pads for under $30 for the PC on their website. Also check out Lake Country pads, I use them on my rotary. I`ve had good experience with both of those brands and both are used by detailers and body shops.

RedondoV6
05-31-2005, 09:21 AM
Check out the sale at Autopia .. Sonus DAS pads from just over $7 each. Good Value!

toml
05-31-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Alfisti

For the newb I`d say: Propel orange and green (or Sonus DAS green).

I`d email Patrick at info@exceldetail.com for his recommendation of pad choices if you want to go the Propel route. I bought the plate/pad kit (flexible backing plate, 1 grey finishing pad and 2 blue light polishing pads) along with another grey finishing pad, 2 green light cut pads and 2 yellow medium cut pads. That was a nice assortment of pads and I had a spare of each in case I dropped one. Patrick did steer me away from the orange pad ... I don`t remember why (except that it`s quite aggressive), but you should ask him if you`re thinking about ordering it.

Patrick is very quick at answering email and is a delight to order from. :up :up :up

VW love.:R
05-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Thank you all :)

Hemi57
05-31-2005, 08:57 PM
toml, thanks for the posting the advice. Sounds like Patrick is a useful contact. I will make contact with him.