PDA

View Full Version : My First Attempt At Detailing. Where Did I Screw Up?

fotodad
05-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Okay, here`s the process I used to detail my car. The car is a 2004 G35x, so the paint and finish are in pretty good shape to begin with. The car has 14,000 miles on it. Please point out what I did right and what I did wrong. Thanks!

Step 1: Cleaned tires and rims using Mother`s Rubber and Wheel cleaner, Dawn, and assorted brushes.

Step 2: Cleaned the car with Dawn. Rinsed and dried. Cleaned car again with Dawn. Rinsed and dried. Drying was done using four 100% cotton towels.

Step 3: Applied 303 to tires.

Step 4: Applied Wheel Wax to wheels.

Step 5: Using Porter Cable and the supplied white pad, I applied Klasse All-in-One at speed #4.

Step 6: Removed dried film of Klasse by hand using a microfiber towel.

Step 7: Applied Mother`s Sealer and Glaze using the white pad (I washed it before re-using it) at speed #4.

Step 8: Removed Sealer and Glaze by hand using a microfiber towel.

Step 9: Applied Mother`s Pure Carnuba Wax using the blue Sonüs pad at speed #4.

Step 10: Treated all exterior trim with 303 Protectant.

Step 11: Applied RainX to all windows

Step 12: Removed the wax using the Sonüs buffing pad placed over the orange Sonüs pad.

Step 13 : Applied Sonüs Carnuba Spritz detailing spray and removed with a microfiber towel.

Step 14: Removed RainX from windows.

Step 15: Removed excess wax/product from around emblems and panel gaps using microfiber towel and toothbrush.

Step 16: Chugged a beer!

So, how did I do?

JasonD
05-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Your process sounds great, but here`s what *I`d* do differently:

Before a full detail I always like to clay the car to remove any contaminants that are sitting on the surface.

Next, I don`t ever like using Dawn. I assume you used it because you were about to do a full detail, but in general I only like to use car wash shampoos.

Last, never use terry cloth towels.....never. You probably introduced a whole bunch of marring right from the start by using those towels. Get some microfiber waffel weave drying towels, you will never look back.

Other than this, you did great! Now it`s time to post some pics!:wavey

imported_krsjuan
05-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I wouldn`t have used the white pad that came with the PC. Just get some more sonus pads.

fotodad
05-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Jason,

Typically I use the NXT shampoo, but I used the Dawn because I understood it removed the old wax finish. I have used the clay bar, but I elected not to use it this time because I felt the surface was pretty clean. But I think next time I do this, I`ll take your advise. Also, I`ll get some of those waffle microfiber towels you mentioned. Good tip!

I appreciate the feedback on this and the other thread of mine. I`ll post some pictures tomorrow. It was getting dark as I finished.

Happy Memorial Day!

JasonD
05-29-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by krsjuan

I wouldn`t have used the white pad that came with the PC. Just get some more sonus pads.

I missed that one. He`s exactly right, throw that stock pad back in the box. Use either the green or blue Sonus pad from now on for your AIO step.

Originally posted by fotodad

Jason,

Typically I use the NXT shampoo, but I used the Dawn because I understood it removed the old wax finish. I have used the clay bar, but I elected not to use it this time because I felt the surface was pretty clean. But I think next time I do this, I`ll take your advise. Also, I`ll get some of those waffle microfiber towels you mentioned. Good tip!

I appreciate the feedback on this and the other thread of mine. I`ll post some pictures tomorrow. It was getting dark as I finished.

Happy Memorial Day!

Okay, good. Just as long as you don`t normally use Dawn for all your washes! ;) You can use Dawn prior to full details if you choose, but you don`t have to. AIO removes everything on the surface which preps it for your LSP. Dawn use is one of those things that`s just personal preference. It`s neither here nor there, just as long as you don`t use it for a maintenance wash. :xyxthumbs

imported_NHBFAN
05-29-2005, 07:57 PM
How did you do?

Pics please.

Envoy Fan
05-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Step 16 should be used more often than at the finish:p

rkf76
05-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by beck27

Step 16 should be used more often than at the finish:p I`d say at least at every other step:xyxthumbs

I like your process except for using the white pad and using the towels.