PDA

View Full Version : Polish after repairs?

top_caty
05-29-2005, 09:41 AM
I`ve just had a crach repaired in my car and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long I should wait before detailing the car again? I read somewhere that the paint can take 6 months to fully harden... surely I don`t have to wait that long?

Thanks

Accumulator
05-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Some paints are softer than others, and they don`t all cure the same way. But a general rule-of-thumb that I use is:

Wash immediately; glaze immediately (with a fresh-paint-safe product); polish *very carefully* after a week or so but only if you have a good reason for doing it; no wax/sealant for at least 8 weeks.

The "iffy" one is the polishing. Plenty of paints can be polished right after they dry (and the shop has often sanded/compounded/polished the paint before you ever see it). But some paints are *very* soft for the first few weeks and you do have to be careful.

top_caty
05-29-2005, 10:32 AM
Accumulator, thanks for the reply.

The car is reasonable clean at the moment, the spray shop did clean it and give it a bit of a shine but I wasn`t sure what I could do next to keep it safe. I expect that the newly painted area will have to be extra care and attention for a while.

What glaze would people recommend?

Accumulator
05-29-2005, 10:47 AM
My hands-down choice for fresh paint is Meg`s #5. The ease of use (and good looks) are well worth the hassle of ordering it. Other choices from Meg`s (in order of preference) are #3/#81/#7. 3M IHG is another one, but I sure like the #5 a lot better.

Such products wash off though, so reapply every time you wash the car.