PDA

View Full Version : Another Zaino question,

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Sullybob
05-28-2005, 10:15 PM
I know, there have been a million Zaino questions lately. Please bear with me.

I mixed up 2 ounces of Z2pro with ZFX. I did my Expedition two times and still have almost and ounce left:eek: it spreads and spreads and then spreads some more. I did all the chrome and all glass with the exception of the windshield. I almost washed our other car and AIO`ed and and put some Z2 on it but I was wiped out.

So my question is:

How can I save my left over Z2? Can I put it in the refrigerator or freezer and stop the ZFX from curing?

Or is this an expensive mistake? Lesson learned don`t mix up more then one half an ounce at a time. :o

Thanks for you help

imported_memnuts
05-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Many post have stated that 1 oz is plenty for a full size vehicle. 1/4 oz will complete my Escalade x2 by hand.

We all have done this over-dose mixing and adjusted the amount needed for future detailing. I always under-estimate the needed amount for jobs that I am not sure of and mixture a little more if needed.

No big deal. Maybe a $1.25 worth of product wasted.

doublel
05-29-2005, 03:33 AM
1/4 oz will complete my Escalade x2 by hand

I know thin coats are recommended, but how in the heck do you do that? :confused: What application tips for minimizing product use and still getting A+ results can you share. You must mist your pad/car or something. I just use the applicator pad from Zaino and probably use 1/4 oz till the pad is primed and the z2 pro spreads reasonably thin using that pad. I thought I was doing good getting two coats on an average size sedan using 1.5 oz`s.

If I could get it down to 1/2 oz I`d be really happy, that would give me 16 cars from one bottle. I do two coats on customer cars. The price (or cost to me) premium for doing customer cars with Zaino would make it my go to product for most any full detail at that product cost level.

:xyxthumbs

SilverBelle04
05-29-2005, 05:59 AM
i`ve done the same thing...hated to throw it out but there`s no other option...i`ve learned about how much i need to do my Max....now i usually only have a couple of drops left in the bottle....and then i go looking for the toaster, fridge or whatever needs a little shine ! :D

Originally posted by Sullybob

I know, there have been a million Zaino questions lately. Please bear with me.

I mixed up 2 ounces of Z2pro with ZFX. I did my Expedition two times and still have almost and ounce left:eek: it spreads and spreads and then spreads some more. I did all the chrome and all glass with the exception of the windshield. I almost washed our other car and AIO`ed and and put some Z2 on it but I was wiped out.

So my question is:

How can I save my left over Z2? Can I put it in the refrigerator or freezer and stop the ZFX from curing?

Or is this an expensive mistake? Lesson learned don`t mix up more then one half an ounce at a time. :o

Thanks for you help

dogma
05-29-2005, 06:07 AM
Its like anything else the more you do it the more you will get a feel on how much to use. I know a 1/2 once will do my car twice plus rims. I have also found that two coats of Z2 pro is like 4-5 coats of the old Z2 ( and much glossier and more depth ).

If you haven`t tried Z8 you must! Nothing can touch it.

imported_Sullybob
05-29-2005, 06:26 AM
No big deal. Maybe a $1.25 worth of product wasted.

It isn`t the wasted Z2 that bothers me. Its the wasted ZFX that really bothered me. I mixed two ounces of Z2 with the ZFX following the directions that came with the ZFX and now I only have half a bottle of ZFX left. At $19.95 for the ZFX I just wasted one quarter of the bottle. I also wasted one ounce of Z2 at $14.95 a bottle. Thats about a $7 mistake.

Well, you know what they say about learning something the hard way? Guaranteed I wont make this mistake again.:nono

blkZ28Conv how much ZFX do you use for half an ounce of Z2pro? I want the 10 drops I have left to last me a while.

Should one bottle of ZFX be enough to cure 8 ounces of Z2pro?

doublel-I have a white Expedition and some times you just have to take it on faith that you are actually getting an even coat of product on the paint. I learned how to spread sealants with Klasse SG where you really need a thin coat. I thought that two ounces of Z2 would be just enough.

I applied AIO to clean the paint then I misted my applicator (Mf wrapped sponge) lightly and I mean very lightly with Z8 to help the Z2 spread. I try and glide the pad over the paint not scrub or push the pad hard at all. If I think that my pad needs more product (It`s hard to tell with a white vehicle) I will wipe a stripe on a window or on one of my hard black plastic trim pieces. Its easy to see if I am getting even coverage. Hope this has helped you.

SilverBelle04-Yea, if I wasn`t wiped out I would have done my other car but it was getting late.

I put my left over Z2 in the refrigerator to try and save it. I don`t think I was successful.

Thanks for you help.

SilverBelle04
05-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Sullybob

It isn`t the wasted Z2 that bothers me. Its the wasted ZFX that really bothered me. I mixed two ounces of Z2 with the ZFX following the directions that came with the ZFX and now I only have half a bottle of ZFX left. At $19.95 for the ZFX I just wasted one quarter of the bottle. I also wasted one ounce of Z2 at $14.95 a bottle. Thats about a $7 mistake.

I hear you about the cost:

Up here in the Great White North.... ZFX is $30 and Z2 is $21 plus shipping costs. I paid $29.95 plus shiping for a bottle of Z8 last week.

After trying it for the first time last week.....Z8 is pretty impressive ! :xyxthumbs

imported_Sullybob
05-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Silver I am glad that I didn`t pay those prices and then make my mistake. That would be about a $10 dollar mistake. That shipping is a killer. This is the part where I reveal that I am geographically challenged:) How close to the US border is Ontario? Could you have it shipped to a US Autopian and then pick it up?

It was getting dark as I was finishing up but I swear that the Z2 was giving my white paint a glow that I have never seen on it before. I did a final wipe down with Z8 and I am pretty excited to see the results today and tomorrow. The paint was very slick last night. I can only hope that its even better today.

SilverBelle04
05-29-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by SilverBelle04

I hear you about the cost:

Up here in the Great White North.... ZFX is $30 and Z2 is $21 plus shipping costs. I paid $29.95 plus shiping for a bottle of Z8 last week.

After trying it for the first time last week.....Z8 is pretty impressive ! :xyxthumbs

Ottawa would be about 1 to 1.5 hours away from New York state in the Watertown /Massena area.

Tpo give you a good idea.. you and i would be about 3000 miles apart right now with me to the east.

To be honest i don`t really mind what i`m paying because i really like the stuff (feel like i get the value), but it`s a good idea nonetheless.

Bob

imported_memnuts
05-29-2005, 08:37 AM
I normally mix up 7-8cc (~ 1/4 oz) of Z polishes with 2-3 drops of ZFX in a 10cc syringe. I spritz the terry pad with Z6 and work the mixture into the paint. This produces a coating that is extremely thin and only visible at certain angles and almost invisible on the white SUV. I use controlled overlapping strokes to insure complete coverage and a lot of faith ;).

As the pad becomes more and more saturated with polish and occasional Z6 spritzes, the amount of polish from the syringe required to do each successive panel also reduces. I dispense a dab ~3/8" and this amount should do the upper half of my SUV door or 1/3 of the hood.

I must admit that some sessions require more (another 3cc (1/8oz)). This depends how meticulous I am when trying to apply the thinnest coat. I am not being cheap or frugal but trying to apply even coats which is very favorable when applying to dark colored vehicles (Z28 or LS400 - both non-metallic black)

quote by Sully

"It isn`t the wasted Z2 that bothers me. Its the wasted ZFX that really bothered me. I mixed two ounces of Z2 with the ZFX following the directions that came with the ZFX and now I only have half a bottle of ZFX left. At $19.95 for the ZFX I just wasted one quarter of the bottle. I also wasted one ounce of Z2 at $14.95 a bottle. Thats about a $7 mistake."

The ZFX bottle (pharmacy grade dropper) only arrives half filled. The 10 drops you used should not have shown any appreciable change in the volume of the "little blue detailing jewel". I can not comprehend how you used 1/4 of your ZFX in 2 oz of Z2 by dispensing 10 tiny drops. :nixweiss

Granted my calculations maybe slightly low but in no way did you waste $7 worth of product or 25% of your initial cost by wasting 1oz of Z2/ZFX mixture.

imported_Gears
05-29-2005, 08:52 AM
I`ve always had a hard time applying Z2Pro thin enough.

Started applying it with my PC. I mist a gray Propel pad with Z6 and less than 1oz. does my entire car.

When its on that thin its really easy for buff off.

I give people credit if they can do a super thin coat by hand.

dogma
05-29-2005, 09:14 AM
I can apply it very thin using a small soft sponge. It seems to work better than anything I have used.

JasonC8301
05-29-2005, 09:45 AM
I spritz some Z-6 or Z-8 (lately all I use is Z-8, and keep Z-6 for bird bombs) onto my applicator pad then apply the Zaino.

I mainly try to mix 1 to 1 and 1/2 ounces of Z2 or Z5 with ZFX (with 5-8 drops of ZFX.) I did this to my car, took me an ounce and a half for two coats (Z-2 Pro) and I was spreading it thicker than normal. Then every month I plan on adding a coat of Z-2Pro with Z-1 going down every other month prior to Z-2. Maintaining it with Z7 washes and Z-8 after a wash for extra sparkle.

If memory serves me correctly that small @$$ vial of ZFX freaked me out at first too but the drops are so small. From the Zaino site, a small ZFX kit should treat 16-20 ounces of Zaino. I still have my kits (somehow I ended up with two kits) with two small vials of ZFX that never seem to want to end up empty.

I tried to run a search but I did not find the thread, somewhere in the archives a thread was started stating someone kept their ZFX in colder temperatures (35-40 F) and it help stop the curing of the Zaino in the bottle allowing for use the next day. The details of that thread are a bit cloudy but I know for a fact this thread exists, just gotta try harder when I have more time to find it.

The cost may be a bit excessive to chuck some, but whats $5-$10 for a 20K, 30K, 40K car? I try to walk out of Starbucks spending less than $10 and that seldom works, a paper for $.75 and a large (shall they say Venti) mocha latte with 3 shots of espresso for $6.50

Sometimes I wash out 1/2 an ounce of Zaino with no big worries, just kind of depressed I can not find the mixing bottles included in the ZFX kits in stores. Sure US plastics website and the container store had those bottles but they are not up to par with Zaino`s, time for a call, LOL.

Jason

imported_Sullybob
05-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

The ZFX bottle (pharmacy grade dropperfilled. ) only arrives half The 10 drops you used should not have shown any appreciable change in the volume of the "little blue detailing jewel".

I can not comprehend how you used 1/4 of your ZFX in 2 oz of Z2 by dispensing 10 tiny drops. :nixweiss

Granted my calculations maybe slightly low but in no way did you waste $7 worth of product or 25% of your initial cost by wasting 1oz of Z2/ZFX mixture. [/B]

Ah ha! That must be it. When I got out the ZFX I didn`t look at it closely, I just shook it up. Then when I put 10 drops into my Z2 and let the ZFX sit for a while, it appeared that I had used up half of my ZFX! Meaning that I had wasted one quarter of my total supply, which would equate to one quarter of the cost, roughly $5 of ZFX and one ounce of Z2 at $1.80 per ounce, equals $6.80.

Thank you for the information on the ZFX bottle. I still have half of it left over.

By the way, looking at my Expedition this morning. Wow:D It looks so nice. It really has a nice glow and depth. Well, for white it really has some nice depth and it just looks slick. I will try and get some pictures up by next week. We are getting ready to go visit family so I wont be able to get pictures uploaded before then.

Jason-I remember reading that thread. I have my left over Z2 in the refrigerator, I will let you know if it is any good after a day or two or *cough, three cough*

This is just one more thing I like about Autopia. If I wouldn`t have posted this I wouldn`t have known that ZFX only comes half full.

Thanks everyone for all of your help.

I think that I am going to order some Z7 and Z6.

There is no cure:cool:

imported_memnuts
05-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Shawn,

Glad the appearance features turned out great. You will be amazed at how long your white SUV will maintain that just waxed appearance.

It took me 4 years to get my usage amounts down to the point that this stuff (polish and ZFX) seem to last forever and smaller and smaller initial mixed amounts complete the job.

Z7 is an excellent vehicle shampoo especially for light colored vehicles. Very good cleaner. :xyxthumbs

Yes, Zaino on white "glows" at night. :woot:

Have you tried Zaino`s leather products? Yes, there is no end or cure. ;)

What a wonderful time to be involved in auto detailing with all the great product lines to chose from.:cool: