PDA

View Full Version : Little tips for shopvac

imported_themightytimmah
05-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Yesterday, when I was working on a van, I ran into a lot of places I couldn`t get even the crevice tool into without taking a few bolts out. Anyone know of really tiny crevice tools for a shopvac (Mine runs the bigger 2.25" tubing, its a Craftsman). I figure that if I could get some really tiny nozzles it`d be a big time saver over disassembly.

Thanks

Tim

AMDin93103
05-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Sears used to carry a car accessory kit of some kind with 6 pieces or something. It ran off of the 1.25" hose but narrowed to very fine points. I don`t see it on their site. :nixweiss

edit: go to sears and search: "Craftsman Shop Micro Cleaning Nozzle" :up

wlhump
05-28-2005, 09:20 PM
How small do you want to go? One suggestion for really tight spots is to take a heavy drinking straw (McDonalds are real good and tough) and poke it thru the bottom of a paper cup. Seal around the hole with some duct tape or if you are careful, hotmelt glue. Put the cup over the nozzle and vac away! It won`t pick up very big things, but it will get into really small areas.

imported_themightytimmah
05-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks alot, pssstue.

Eliot Ness
05-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Home Depot also carries a set of very small attachments that come in handy. They are a smaller diameter than your hose, but they also sell couplers that reduce the hose diameter. Not sure if they`d have your exact size, but you could always fabricate one or use duct tale.

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT1215.phtml

Around here they`re located in the isle where they sell shop vac bags, filters, etc..

raymond_ho2002
05-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by wlhump

How small do you want to go? One suggestion for really tight spots is to take a heavy drinking straw (McDonalds are real good and tough) and poke it thru the bottom of a paper cup. Seal around the hole with some duct tape or if you are careful, hotmelt glue. Put the cup over the nozzle and vac away! It won`t pick up very big things, but it will get into really small areas.

holy crap, that`s one of the best ideas i`ve heard. did you think of that yourself?! :bow

C. Charles Hahn
05-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

Home Depot also carries a set of very small attachments that come in handy. They are a smaller diameter than your hose, but they also sell couplers that reduce the hose diameter. Not sure if they`d have your exact size, but you could always fabricate one or use duct tale.

http://www.ridgidparts.com/accessories/VT1215.phtml

Around here they`re located in the isle where they sell shop vac bages, filters, etc..

That`s what I use on my 5HP ShopVac, the Rigid ones. My "other" vac, the one that hangs on the wall as my go-to grab vac, is a 3HP unit with the 1.25" hose already.

Pats300zx
05-29-2005, 04:31 AM
I have the Home Depot shop vac acc kit and its great. It has many attachments including a very small brush. For $9.99 or so its perfect to have in your detailing arsenal.

Bill D
05-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by wlhump

I used to try that a while back. I eliminated having to do that by getting the small attachments kit for my Shop Vac. It`s about $10 to $12 at Wal-Mart. Now I suppose one could couple that with a truly tiny cocktail sized straw, that is, if it can withstand the vacuum force. But for an area so small, blowing it out with compressed or canned air first might work better.

imported_themightytimmah
05-30-2005, 05:13 PM
I got em today. Big thanks psstue, I ended up buying the kit from Sears. I think it was about 15-20 bucks with an adapter and all to fit my vac, and it truly is money well spent. The time it saves me from trying to wiggle in a crevice nozzle or dropping a few bolts is immeasureable, and I`d really reccomend it to any Autopian. One slight note though: if you have a 2.5" vac, get a short 1.25" hose along with the adapter and kit. It does make life a lot easier, luckily I had one kicking around.

Hemi57
05-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Once again you guys have come up with some great ideas. Thanks.

Bill D, I will put the WM Shop Vac accessories on my shopping list for my next US visit :D