PDA

View Full Version : better glass cleaning method?

Pages : [1] 2 3

vprdak
05-26-2005, 10:04 PM
I was thinking the other day... is there a way to improve on my glass cleaning method.. there must be... i always spray my 20/20 directly on the glass but that causes overspray to mist onto my paint and surrounding areas everytime.. does anyone else have this problem? would it be just as effective (and neater) to apply the glass cleaner onto the towel and then wipe off??

TW85 HHI
05-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Assuming the glass is not terribly dirty, spraying directly onto the towel works fine. It is how I always clean interior glass and how I clean exterior glass if the car was just washed.

If the glass is dirty (say, you need to clean the glass but cannot wash the car), I have had streaking and dirt trail problems by not spraying the cleaner directly onto the glass.

imported_pdsterns
05-27-2005, 04:22 AM
I keep my glass pretty clean and don`t have any kids finger prints, pets (nose prints) or smokers so inside stays pretty good. I spray WAUD, cut 2p water to 1p WAUD, on an MF and go over them and they come out great. After wiping I flip MF and buff dry.

imported_Sullybob
05-28-2005, 07:14 AM
Neat idea Peter. Do you use your WAUD mix on the interior windows as well? Do you ever get halo`s from this? How easy is it to clean the windows that you have cleaned this way if you don`t use you WAUD mix? I`m thinking that the glass would have some slickness from the WAUD.

Bill D
05-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Mine is very clean also. I usually mist a little isopropyl alcohol:water solution on the glass, use a Glass Wizard and follow with Norwex glass MF ( flat, no nap).

That said, the new Meguiars Duo Glass Towel works extremely well in terms of nice and even film,dirt, smudge removal, especially if you have "normally" dirty windows, but I still briefly follow up with the Norwex largely to remove the lint lft behind :(. I`m hoping further washes will eliminate that.

imported_pdsterns
05-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Sullybob

Do you use your WAUD mix on the interior windows as well? Do you ever get halo`s from this? How easy is it to clean the windows that you have cleaned this way if you don`t use you WAUD mix? I`m thinking that the glass would have some slickness from the WAUD.

This was not my idea but one from Autopia

Interior windows: yes

Halo`s: On side windows No. I only just started on windshield and haven`t noticed any.

Cleaning without WAUD: I haven`t noticed any problem

Slickness: They feel very slick, lasts several days and to cleanup I just use it again.

I actually started cleaning my reading glasses with it.

magictouch24
05-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Any suggestions on cleaning glass (especially windshields) in the sun when shade/cover isn`t available? I can`t get streak-free windows in the sun to save my life!

Bill D
05-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Only thing I can think of is to work as quickly as possible if not just wait till sunset.

Intercooled
05-28-2005, 03:34 PM
I have founf that the toweling being used makes alot of difference. I just recently picked up some new Glass MFs from Pak Shak. WOW!! They are awesome, probably my favorite MF. I dont hate glass any more. They have helped me achieve much cleaner and clearer glass regardless of what product I`m using!!

Try different applicators(towels etc.) with different products.

missmojo1
02-26-2007, 07:25 PM
I have found and sell the best way to clean glass to a streak free shine, using only a cloth and water. It is so simple and I usually do it while waiting in traffic or while waiting for my husband in the vehicle. I always keep the cloth and a spray bottle in my console. The vehicle doesn`t have to be warm to get streak free windows. The stuff is Norwex and if you don`t actually see them used its hard to believe they work so good.

David Fermani
02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
2 towel method:

1st - Spray complete glass, scrub with terry cloth towel(lint free)

2nd - Buff and perfect with cotton sergical towel(lint free)

Fold towels twice into 1/4`s and don`t have you final towel get too saturated. MF`s are ok, but not necessary.

paul34
02-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Outside glass, I try as hard as possible to have to avoid touching it with any sort of towel... I always try to wash them, and then leafblower dry them. But its getting more difficult as its getting warmer here in Florida (to avoid waterspots).

But yea, normally it`s just better to spray it on the towel. I had the same problems as you... no way to really avoid it without spraying the towel.

Inside glass, I do:

1) One WW with vinegar + water. This makes QUICK work of the film build up.

2) Wipe with another dry WW

3) Invisible glass on Cobra WW

4) Another Cobra WW to buff.

Before I used to struggle with streaks and buffing until my arm fell off. Problem was that Invisible Glass isn`t all that great at removing weeks of offgassing... vinegar solves that problem and the Stoner`s comes in and "finishes" the job :)

Usually works pretty well... except I STILL have one problem, as you`ll see here:

but I still briefly follow up with the Norwex largely to remove the lint lft behind :(. I`m hoping further washes will eliminate that.

Bill, Ihave this same problem, and have no idea why. I`ve washed my WWs quite a few times, and they still dust/lint. I have a feeling its from my washing machine, but all my MFs seem to do it to some extent.

I guess I`ll have to try one of those totally no-nap towels. Is that Norwex towel you use one of those microfiber "glass" towels? (almost like slik in that there`s no nap?)

Wes Man
02-28-2007, 12:14 AM
what i try to do when cleaning is, if they are quite dirty, i get a barely damp cotton rag and scrub and wipe numerous times. this will eliminate dirt trails and really help from getting your glass rag from collecting dirt from one window to the other. it really helps me.

beachcities
02-28-2007, 01:29 AM
i do not use any chemicals on my windows ever. i take one microfiber dipped in R.O. water then rung out so it is still damp. wipe window down with it. use second microfiber to polish window, lightly as not to cause scratches. then use detail brush to remove any left over lint. can go all the way around the car with just 2 towels. no streaks. it can remove finger prints, dog slobber, and smoker scum no problem, and it is cost effective for large detail operations.

froll
02-28-2007, 05:44 AM
I was thinking the other day... is there a way to improve on my glass cleaning method.. there must be... i always spray my 20/20 directly on the glass but that causes overspray to mist onto my paint and surrounding areas everytime.. does anyone else have this problem? would it be just as effective (and neater) to apply the glass cleaner onto the towel and then wipe off??

I have a large (cheapo) MF that I lay across the hood starting at the windshield wiper well. I use a foam cleaner which I spray in the middle of the windshield sufficient to cover 1/2 the windshiled at a time which allows me to go up/down and to the side. Any minor overspray lands on my my MF. After wiping with a glass WW I then buff with a Cobra Miracle MF. This has worked pretty well for me.