PDA

View Full Version : Swirl Removal Without Buffer

DJ Azmatik
05-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Hello. I am Albert from the Bay Area CA. My old login name was Ramolap. I`m still pretty new to detailing and haven`t tried any heavy swirl removal. Has anyone tried swirl removal without using a buffer? What are your techniques, products, and what tips do you have?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/DJAzmatik/DSC02925.jpg

gav'spurplez
05-26-2005, 07:42 AM
what type of "buffer??"

if you are talking about a PC 7424 then i can help you out.

i bought yelow, white and gray pads from properautocare.com

i have used menzerna IP with the yellow, and menzerna FP with the white pad. i have had great results and there is almost no way to harm the paint.

just be sure to seal / wax after you polish :xyxthumbs

Accumulator
05-26-2005, 08:41 AM
DJ Azmatik- Doing it by hand will work *IF* the paint isn`t too hard and you`re willing to really work at it. I dunno...IMO if you can afford a car and other detailing supplies you can probably also afford a PC or something similar.

If you want to try by hand you might oughta try to do a single panel at a time. Products such as 1Z PP and Meg`s #80 work OK by hand, and you can use stuff like 3M PI-III RC (05933) and MG (05937) too. And plenty of people like Meg`s Scratch-X.

Doing it by hand is sure is a lot of work though...

imported_themightytimmah
05-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Its only realistic to do by hand if you have a lot more time and patience than I do. The way I look at it, your time is worth atleast 10 bucks an hour (and probably way more, cause most car guys do pretty well), and a PC is only 150 bucks or so.

I guarantee that you will save a minimum of 5 hours the first time you buff it out, and I usually buff my car out 2-3 times a year (although you don`t go through 6 months of QEWing salt and sand, so you`ll probably end up doing it less often). I figure that by PC has saved me well over 100 hours so far over doing work by hand (I`m a pro though).

On the other hand, if you don`t get the PC you won`t need a gym membership, so thats a money saver too:).

DJ Azmatik
05-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I am trying to get the swirls out of my uncle`s black 1993 Maxima. I wanted to practice on it before I try any other cars. The paint is very shiny and in good condition but there are many swirl marks.

imported_themightytimmah
05-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Ugh, swirls on a black car. Your best bet by hand is going to be to hide them with Vanilla Moose or a similar glaze.. Its just not realistic to remove them all without a PC. If you`re gonna PC it, start with Poorboy`s SSR2.5 or Menzerna IP, then finish with SSR1/FPII.

DJ Azmatik
05-26-2005, 09:30 PM
After the feedback and previous thinking I`m planning to buy a PC 7424. What type of pads would work best with the PB SSR 2.5 and PB SSR1?

jetskie
05-27-2005, 11:28 AM
I would suggest getting a PC, don`t get one of thoes $15 orbital as the bonnets mixed with swrill removers might introduce its own swrills. What I find to work out by hand is to use Scratch-X with a microfiber towel or pad and rub it it all directions until its about gone. Do a small area at a time 1ftx1ft. It will take lots of time and you`ll get a good work out. To me the time saved and better results are worth the $150 to go buy a PC. Go see Meguiarsonline.com as they have articles on doing it by hand.