PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to using more than 2 coats of P21S?

90 ZR-1
05-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Is there any advantage to using more then 2 coats or am I just wasting product?

JamRWS6
05-25-2005, 05:56 PM
IMO you are just wasting product. 2 coats should give you all the depth you want. Carnauba waxes aren`t effective by making layer after layer like some synthetic sealants can.

How do you like the P21S? I`ve got some on order that should be here tomorrow:)

90 ZR-1
05-25-2005, 06:01 PM
I love P21S. Goes on easy, comes off easy, leaves a great shine just don`t try and use it as your only wax. I may have decent weather tomorrow to get shots of the ZR-1, and the GT after I get a coat of P21S on the GT. I`ll post a link if I get the pics.

Dtail
05-25-2005, 06:11 PM
I agree. IMO, more than 2 coats is just a waste of time and product. Lately, i don`t even bother putting 2 coats of my souveran just because im already satisfied with just one coat. Souveran seems to be pretty durable for a carnauba wax. Although, the gloss and depth seems to be less after a month, water still sheets off and the paint never felt dry. I think that letting the wax haze lightly before buffing off makes the wax more durable. I used to do the wowo while it`s still wet and durability seems to suffer.

lbls1
05-25-2005, 07:02 PM
I will have to be the odd man out and say that there is a lot of benefit in using more than 2 coats. First of all, any wax must be applied on top of a clean surface. Piling wax on top of old wax residue that you`ve accumulated for a year or more is wasteful, because you will likely compound dirt and oxidation along with the wax. That will likely mean that your paint will not be at its best in its appearance.

Second, you should definitely not put on more than two coats at a single time. You should apply one or up to two coats right after you`ve prepped your surface. You should then IMO give yourself at least a week and/or up to a month`s time with your first deposits of wax before adding another coat.

I have followed this routine for many years with success, and the benefit of enjoying a long lasting waxed shine right through winter. Some doubt it, but I can tell you that wax that has been slowly applied, maintained and replenished in moderate amounts will yield you very rewarding results.

SilverLexus
05-26-2005, 06:27 AM
I think 2 coats is plent but I would wait 24-48 hours between applications. I would also suggest applying their GEPC if you have not polished in a while.

spotpad
05-26-2005, 07:59 AM
It really depends. A second coat immediately (minutes to hours) after the first coat is buffed will probably not any more depth as it takes some time for the first coat to cure. The most this will do is to ensure a more complete coverage.

I`d follow SilverLexus` advice and wait a day or two before applying the second coat. Some people report that their paint looks deeper a few days after the first coat - maybe it took the wax that long to cure. Who knows?

HTH

termigator
05-26-2005, 09:25 AM
After my recent experience with S100, I`d have to agree with Silver Lexus. I recently applied S100 Shine Enhancing Lotion followed by S100 wax. It had a nice shine, but I wasn`t overly impressed with the outcome. Just for the sake of entertaining myself, I went ahead and added another coat of S100 a week later. That second coat seemed to have made a difference in the whole outlook of the car. I can`t pinpoint it exactly, but the car seemed to have an added glow about it that I really liked. I don`t know about adding more coats, but a second coat definitely seemed to have made a difference for me.:)