PDA

View Full Version : USing AIO before polishing but after claying.

mystickid
05-25-2005, 01:48 PM
I was reading the "The AR Perfectionist Prep Method" on detailing and it mentioned to do AIO paint cleaning after washing & claying; *prior* to polishing though. Since I`ll be using a RMG after my speed glaze, this makes sense to me considering that using AIO after a Glaze will probably remove the fillers and oils of the Glaze.

So, to sum up my question... After Washing, Claying, and Alcohol Wipedown-ing, can I use AIO as a paint cleaner prior to my polishing ( #80/ PI-III RC) or is that senseless???

:nixweiss

imported_Sullybob
05-25-2005, 02:12 PM
AIO is a cleaner and protectant. It will clean your paint through a mostly chemical action and it will put down a layer of protection. If you use a mechanical polish after AIO it will strip the AIO off. I would use the AIO after you have polished. Many members use it as a base for their LSP.

Detailr75
05-25-2005, 03:09 PM
AIO is a 2LSP in my opinion -- second-to-last step product. Nothing goes after it except carnauba or a fine sealant.

Accumulator
05-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Yeah, using the AIO before RMG is one thing, but using it before something like #80/3M RC would be a bad way to go *unless* you had some really nasty oxidation on there that you wanted to clean off chemically (with AIO) before using the RC. But to be honest, I`ve never encountered a situation like that.

I myself don`t use AIO *after* #80 either. You have to do an alcohol wipe to check if the #80 really removed the marring (as opposed to covering it up) lest the AIO reveal some stuff you thought was gone. I don`t mind the filling that the #80 does, I just put a glaze/wax over it. Actually, I don`t use AIO very much except as a base for KSG. I know some people use it for virtually every detail...just a personal preference.

Oh, and I wouldn`t do an alcohol wipe between claying and polishing, no real point to it.

Heh heh, unlike some people (e.g., Bill D :D ) I hardly ever do alcohol wipes. If I don`t want fillers/oils I use a product that doesn`t leave them behind in the first place. Just another personal preference...

chevyguy28
05-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

If I don`t want fillers/oils I use a product that doesn`t leave them behind in the first place. Just another personal preference...

Absolutely. That very criterion has steered my direction of polish choice and why I rarely use Meguiars polishes.

Detailer`s Pride has a Final Polish that has very light abrasives but is mostly a chemical cleaner like AIO. It`s water based and supposidely has no fillers, and leaves no protection. It may be a good replacement for AIO in the arsenal if you just want light polishing but don`t need the protection, or oils that products like P21S GEPC leave behind.

Going to try it this weekend. Usually though, if I`m polishing, something like Menzerna PO85RD is my finisher. Then I move to glaze or an LSP.

- J

atticdog
05-25-2005, 05:47 PM
what about useing aio first to see what it removes

then you can see clearly what needs to be polished out?

since it dont leave that much protection and it will either be sealed or waxed anyways

imported_Sullybob
05-25-2005, 06:25 PM
I would think that after washing and claying you should be able to clearly see what kind of defects you are working with. AIO followed by a mechanical polish just seems like extra work to me, if you don`t have severe oxidation that needs to be removed.