PDA

View Full Version : rubber floormats

ahunt01
05-25-2005, 12:43 PM
I`ll be going on a two - three week vacation across the entire northern area of the US real soon, and I recently purchased some new floor mats because my carpet ones are falling apart and don`t grip anymore. I know about the funky smell of rubber, but I needed something durable, cheap, and soon.

My question is, how can I remove the rubber smell from the floormats:confused: ?

Keep in mind, that I have no time to order special products, so anything I use to remove the smell (if that`s possible) would have to be either house-hold items or something that I can purchase from any store locally (Walmart, Target, Autozone, PepBoys).

imported_themightytimmah
05-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Maybe douse em with diluted APC, hose `em out, and leave them in the sun for a while? I think airing them out is your best bet, but the APC might help. That, or spray them with Febreze/Ozium/any other product that claims to eliminate odors, and hope for the best.

tensors22288
05-25-2005, 01:00 PM
i have a set of 4 weathertechs and they smell ****y at first but if u give them a good scrub an spray them as well as the car with some sort of air freshener, u really dont notice them. worst it when they are new. but believe me, the amount of cleaning time u save is worth the bad smell for a little while

Richt
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Brought some recently for my car, they did smell very rubber like intially, after a few scrubs with hot soapy water and dressing with 1Z or Ag Vinyl and Rubber on the weekly clean the smell is a thing of the past

ahunt01
05-25-2005, 01:34 PM
I dunno if I can obtain 1Z or AG in time. I do, however, have OdoBan (claims it eliminates odors), a generic Walmart "All Purpose Cleaner", and clear ammonia (also an all purpose cleaner). I`m going to give all those a try, in addition to several scrubs with hot soapy water. I hope that works.

TEGBOY
05-25-2005, 10:04 PM
There are some rubber mats that are now coming out lemon infused smell

LouisanaJeeper
05-25-2005, 11:00 PM
just spray them down with simple green, rinse off and leave in the sun for a day or two

i run rubber floor mats year round in the drivers area. keeps the dirt down alot, and i hardley ever have to vacumn, just rinse off the mat

ahunt01
05-26-2005, 04:28 AM
Heh, finally today there is some sun.