PDA

View Full Version : The "neglector" turned "critic"!

Pages : [1] 2

1 Clean WS6
05-25-2005, 01:17 AM
Hey all!!

If you`ve detailed professionally for any length of time you`ve had the "neglector" client. You know...the one that owns a black full size SUV, has 5 kids and 3 dogs and gets its detailed once a year. Your average Extreme Detail contest vehicle. I have divided these "neglectors" into two categories:

The first:

You could spray some water on their SUV and vacuum the inside and they think it "looks better than new". They are always appreciative of your work and oftentimes embarrassed that they let their vehicle get in such disrepair. I actually have a few yearly clients that fit this bill.

The second:

The "neglector" turned "critic"...like the gentleman`s whose 2003 Harley Davidson F150 I detailed today. Unfortunately I have had a few of these clients as well. I received the dreaded "its not that bad" comment over the phone when he set up the appointment. He wanted the truck done for a car show he was entering this weekend. I thought to myself "maybe it isn`t so bad...he likes to show it...right"? WRONG!!!!! I get there and the outside is the typical neglected two year old black paint...swirls galore and beginning to take on that greyish hue. Then I opened the door...to say this truck was a sty was an understatement. Fast food wrappers, soda cans, foreign substances in the console and cup holders, filthy leather and dirt/sand everywhere. It literally looked like the truck had never been vacuumed or otherwise cleaned out. I quote him my price and begin my work. 6.5 hours later I`m done and the truck is glowing. The "critic" then begins to walk around the truck...no problem...maybe he`s happy to see it look clean again. NO!!!! He`s looks up into all four wheel wells...cleaned and dressed buddy...sorry. Runs his finger along the inside of all four rims...no brake dust huh? Then he opened up each of the crew cabs four doors and inspects every jam...cleaned and sealed...you loose. Without so much as a "nice job" or "looks good" or even a hand shake he hands me my payment, takes his keys and walks back inside his home!!

Now I have no problem with someone inspecting my work like that...I would do the same. It just baffles me how you can go from driving in a sty for two years to becoming a concours judge in a total of 6.5 hours!!! :nixweiss

Rant off. ;)

Mike

imported_mirrorfinishman
05-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Hey Mike,

It`s not easy, but sometimes you just need to learn when to say no and just walk away from taking on those jobs. The key is to know in advance that you have priced the job correctly and that you are positive that you can get the results necessary to completely satisfy your customer.

AudiOn19s
05-25-2005, 07:21 AM
I once agreed to do paint only on a black Porsche 968 conv. that looked gray when I saw it in person. Over the phone the guy stated no wheels, no tires, no wheel wells, no jambs no nothing...he could do everything else he just wanted me to do the paint and asked if i could do it for $50. Imagine a porsche owner on a budget.

So I get there and do the car...worst paint I`ve come across yet...should have charged more for just the paint because it was a nightmare. Anyhow I did the wheels and tires and wheel wells out of good will because beautiful paint with dirty wheels and tires dont` mix. Bury WAY too much time in the car and when I`m done he`s suddenly upset because I didn`t do windows, jambs and conv. top treatment. I reiterated our phone conversation in which I advised of my exterior only price and he requested that I do paint only at less than half the price of an exterior only detail and that for the price of the regular exterior only detail I`d gladly stick around and do the remainder of the work for him. He handed me my $50 and I was on my way.

THEN....3 weeks later he has the balls to call me and tell me that the car`s just not looking the same as it did right after the detail. I asked him what he had done to maintain the finish and he proudly proclaimed that he drives it throught the automated wash at the gas station 2 times a week...hum...wonder where the shine went???

This thread is funny and frustrating at the same time.

Andy

Scottwax
05-25-2005, 08:58 AM
I hear ya`. I`ve never figured out how people can trash their vehicles so bad then pick over every little thing. No problem with people inspecting my work, in fact, I encourage it. I just don`t get how they can have it so filthy and then all of a sudden care passionately how it looks. :nixweiss

Just part of the business though. I have other customers who keep their cars in spectacular condition and if all I did was the windows, they`d probably be happy.

Spilchy
05-25-2005, 09:02 AM
The reality is, the guy did appreciate your work.

He just lacks the social graces, maturity and can`t shed the macho image to pay you a compliment.

You earned your pay. Move on and forget him. All the others appreciate your workmanship.

But, I understand your rant and need to blow off steam.

Maybe at the event people will be like "WOW!" and ask him who prepped the car! That`ll show him!

Also, when I was finished I would advise him on how to take care of the car properly so it will continue to look this good; letting him know diplomatically and professionally that this guy doesn`t know what he`s doing when it comes to cleaning. If he has any street smarts, he`ll get your message ;)

LouisanaJeeper
05-25-2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Spilchy

Maybe at the event people will be like "WOW!" and ask him who prepped the car! That`ll show him!

actually, he will probably tell them it was his own work

HotRodGuy
05-25-2005, 09:13 AM
trust me, I KNOW the customers you are talking about

ScubaStevo
05-25-2005, 10:26 AM
I get that kind of thing all the time. Sometimes they`ll walk in and be standing there with their mouth on the ground, then the next customer will just come in, give me the money and drive off. Some even have the balls to say that they know how to take care of the car themselves after I`m done. They "just don`t have the time".

One person strikes my memory where he comes back, and says, "Yup, it was looking like that when I brought it here, I just wanted a couple touch up`s done." This is after his car is one of the worst I`ve done.

Those are the kind of people and the kind of person my previous employer was. I just got sick of it, and realized that I could put my time to better use somewhere else.

rollman
05-25-2005, 06:23 PM
I only hope you made him pay dearly for your services.

RedondoV6
05-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Maybe he was just looking for an angle to reduce your fees?

Shame you didn`t give him any! LOL

Kanchou
05-25-2005, 07:09 PM
or even better, keep your 3megapixel with you so you can make your own befores and afters of every job. That way, if there`s some persnickity-ness, you can just whip out the flash memory...

imported_themightytimmah
05-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Their money is as green as anyone elses :). Yeah, I`ve dealt with a few of these guys, I usually just humor them until they call for their next detail, and explain that due to the cost of "gas and supplies" my prices have gone up 50 bucks in a month :).

SpoiledMan
05-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by themightytimmah

Their money is as green as anyone elses :). Yeah, I`ve dealt with a few of these guys, I usually just humor them until they call for their next detail, and explain that due to the cost of "gas and supplies" my prices have gone up 50 bucks in a month :).

Yep, had one yesterday. I know I wont have to deal with him again cause he is cheap as hell!

usdm
05-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Kanchou

or even better, keep your 3megapixel with you so you can make your own befores and afters of every job. That way, if there`s some persnickity-ness, you can just whip out the flash memory...

I`ve started doing that recently. But I`m looking for

another camera.

CrobarCars
05-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Maybe the Porsche was stolen and he wanted to "disguise" it with a detail! lol! - Even though it is an excersize in patience and temperment, charge them accordlingly, maybe add a few $$ to your "patience fund", may take the edge off hearing or in this case not hearing him say something.

Education is sometimes the best weapon we have for these types......It may be difficult at first, but done in a manner in which the cliet doesn`t know he is being "schooled" may be one way of bringing him from "darkness to the light!"

Realizing his frugal nature, he did call back....in his own crumudgeon way.....however he did call back. Most important~ to set the correct price, for his methods of conducting business are as suspect of his social awaredness.

Keep up the good work and unfortunately he will not be the last so gaining a method of dealing with this type of mentality may save you frustration in the future.

Like using your products, it is much easier to handle something your have experienced before than for the first time.

Who knows, one day you may thank this guy for giving you your first shot at dealing with this experience!

At least he paid and it didn`t bounce.

As in certain business` "no news is good news." Sounds like this guy....He may only coment upon criticism.

Continue the good work!