PDA

View Full Version : DP causes rash.

imported_DennisH
05-24-2005, 09:48 AM
My wife was using a new detail spray and it caused a rash on here hands. First my wife has sensitive skin and a lot of product causes rashes. We called the doctor and he said to bring the bottle and come into the office for look. The doctor look for the ingredients that may have caused rash on the bottle but none were not listed nor was there a hotline number or emergency information if swallowed. He said he will look into in but he believed that all consumer grade products are suppose to contain emergency information and a list of product contents. I look at a lot of the sealants and waxes and most of them do not carry any kind of information nor warnings. Anyone know anything about any requirements for labeling of products?

I not going to say which product since it will just cause a huge debate and probably 99.9999 percent of the people in the world it will not effect. It will just give a product a black eye that it does not deserve!

SK2003TypeS
05-24-2005, 09:57 AM
I`m not familiar with any label requirements. But just to share my experiences, last spring I washed my car for a few weeks using regular off the shelf car shampoo. I was just using a wash mitt. After a few weeks of this, my hand began to get a rash (I too have sensitve skin), and then became so severe (the point of continuous bleeding) that it took about 2 or 3 months to fully heal. I have since resorted to wearing kitchen gloves in my wash mitts.

Some products have some pretty extreme pH levels which will effect skin pretty dramatically. After that experience, I try to wear gloves as much as possible.

gkerr4
05-24-2005, 10:22 AM
wow - I wouldn`t have thought it would get to that stage though - with a product that is designed to have you hand immersed in it - I mean they must expect a car wash is going to come in contact with your skin right? I do have one brand of wash that affects my hands. I just stop using it - it is obvious later that evening that my right hand (that most of the work) looks dry and chapped.

I think that Meguiars are the only ones (that I have come across) that say what is in the chemicals. They also often have a warning that it may be a skin irritant. But megs products is the only place I have seen this sort of labelling.

SK2003TypeS
05-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Yeah, it was pretty bad. Had to wash my car with my left hand for a few months....which extended my already long wash time.

I don`t "blame" the product. My skin is very sensitive and it was also a lack of me caring for my skin properly with moisturizers, etc.

As Dennis mentioned, it probably doesn`t affect a lot of people out there. I have seen a handful of posts like this over the years though.

ZaneO
05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DennisH

I not going to say which product since it will just cause a huge debate

Didn`t you say it was a DP product in the title? :nixweiss

imported_DennisH
05-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ZaneO

Didn`t you say it was a DP product in the title? :nixweiss

NO NO NO it is not Detailers Pride - I have never owned nor used any of thier products but would like to. Sorry for the giving the wrong impression. I repeat Sorry It Is Not Detailers Pride that was my mistake I should have put "Detailingl Product" and not "DP".

ZaneO
05-24-2005, 12:08 PM
I see...my mistake :)

Mochamanz1
05-24-2005, 08:10 PM
It could be a mere fragrance or coloring causing the problem. It sounds like an allergic reaction, IMHO. If that is the case, there is no reason to be reluctant to mention the product name. We all have allergies to something IMO, .... the lucky ones among us never find the agent that triggers the reaction. ;)

WrxRob513
05-24-2005, 08:40 PM
mods should change the title as it is misleading.

sorry about your rash though, i always wear gloves when detailing!

imported_themightytimmah
05-24-2005, 08:55 PM
I`ve never had any problems, even after getting Spray + Rinse all over myself. I try to avoid prolonged contact with the strong stuff though, and I guess thats done me well. Hope your wife gets better soon, she should try changing brands and see if she still has the same problem. If she doesn`t, then its likely a fragrance/etc shes allergic to. I`d suggest trying some of the Poorboy`s World detail sprays, they seem pretty mild to me.

RuffRyder
05-24-2005, 11:16 PM
I agree, I don`t see this as being an undeserved "black eye" for a product. But if it caused a rash on someone`s/anyone`s skin for whatever reason (actual vital ingredient or just color or perfume) I think it may help others in the future in case they have a similar occurence. It may also be useful to inform the manufacturer. Not for any other reason than the fact that you might be informing them of something that they have either document or have no idea about. Either way they might be able to use this feedback for future product improvement.

As much as we as consumers assume that product manufacturers have tried and tested their product in every way under every type of skin condition, etc. sometimes (most of the time from my own personal experience) they just don`t. Not out of not wanting to be thorough with product testing, just out of not thinking of it.

This is reason why I wear gloves (latex-like food services gloves) while detailing. Live and learn.

imported_RIC
05-25-2005, 06:08 AM
Your Doctor should be able to contact the manufacturer and obtain an MSDS for the product that caused the rash but to my knowledge their is no legal requirement to provide an emergency number nor a list of ingredients.

imported_DennisH
05-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by mochamanz

It could be a mere fragrance or coloring causing the problem. It sounds like an allergic reaction, IMHO. If that is the case, there is no reason to be reluctant to mention the product name. We all have allergies to something IMO, .... the lucky ones among us never find the agent that triggers the reaction. ;)

If it was more than just my wife I would be concerned but most laundry soap, some perfumes, house-cleaning products will cause rashes on my wife. She can tell when the laundry soap manufacture changes formula. This would not fair to the manufacture and yes I have contacted the manufacture about this and we believe it could have been the fragrance that was added. Won’t be the first time nor will it be the last – that is what you get marrying a red head that allergic to bee stings.:o

Looks like that the only chemicals that need to be listed on labels is one that are list on a hazardous material list that is maintain by the feds.