PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Detailing a Motorcycle

fotodad
05-24-2005, 09:32 AM
I just bought an older (1983) Honda Nighthawk motorcycle and I`d like to clean it up a bit. What needs the most cleaning is the engine and the exhaust. Is there a product I can use to spray on the engine, let is sit for a bit, then spray off with a hose tht does a pretty good job? Also, the mufflers have a fair amount of surface rust on them. What can I use to get rid of the rust; then what should I use to polish the chrome?

Thanks!

brwill2005
05-24-2005, 03:32 PM
As far as polishes, check out English Custom Polishes. They make a metal restorer polish that you can use on the rust. They also make a chrome polish. Degreasing the engine requires a good All Purpose Cleaner, various brushes, and elbow grease. I usually spray the entire engine with the APC, and then use the brushes to scrub everything. I rinse after a couple minutes or so. You would repeat this process until the dirt and grime is removed. Wash the paint just like you would wash the paint on a car. If you have one, a dryer such as the Metro dryer works great to blow the water out of all the crevices.

holland_patrick
05-24-2005, 03:48 PM
s-100 makes a wash that i hear is really good try a harley place near ya for their line

Scottwax
05-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by holland_patrick

s-100 makes a wash that i hear is really good try a harley place near ya for their line

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. The stuff just rocks. Great way to get the bike clean.

imported_themightytimmah
05-25-2005, 12:29 AM
I like heavy duty solvent degreasers for engines. They come in aerosol cans, Gunk makes a good one, or you can just buy the store brand one. IMHO, they blow away APC on really dirty engines. Follow up with Castrol Super Clean and a brush, and there will be zero grime left. As for the rust, try Noxon-7, its a pretty good metal polish. S100 polishing soap might work too, I don`t know. Its not the best finishing polish, but it tears through grime and it is about as easy to use as products get.

brwill2005
05-25-2005, 08:23 AM
No offense, but I would try to stay away from the solvent cleaners. Some engines have alot of chrome that could be damaged by a harsh cleaner. Dilluted APC works just fine with a little patience and some brush agitation.

smoky14
05-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Be sure the engine is dead cold. The clear coat used is subject to peeling when you get it wet and hot at the same time. Spent over 20yrs working in foreign bike shops.

fotodad
05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
Wow! This is fantastic advise. Thank you, everyone, for your expertise. I`m goin` shoppin` this weekend for all the supplies. I`ll take some before and after pictures. I hope I can do all of you proud.

One other question: What about taking the bike to one of those high pressure hose places, spraying on the engine stuff, then power washing it off? Does the high pressure hurt the engine at all?