PDA

View Full Version : More holograms on the road?

kompressornsc
05-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Maybe it`s just something that I`ve become more sensitive to, but I see a ton of cars nowadays with severe hologramming (is that a word?) and buffer burn. I can`t believe that people would let someone do that to their car and not complain. I saw one yesterday that was so bad you could see the 4 different sections of the hood that were worked because the burn went in big `s` patterns in 4 different directions!

Are there more people screwing up their paint now trying to do it themselves? More people with rotaries that shouldn`t have them? Or do I just notice it more now. I don`t go a day without seeing a finish that has been horribly mangled with a rotary.:nixweiss

Accumulator
05-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by kompressornsc

Maybe it`s just something that I`ve become more sensitive to, but I see a ton of cars nowadays with severe hologramming ...do I just notice it more now...

I bet that`s it. My wife is always seeing it now too, ever since I "educated" her about holograms.

imported_themightytimmah
05-24-2005, 03:53 PM
I think its just more perception. All the time, I`ll point out a car with severe swirls and my dad will say "Yeah, that`s a nice looking car, isn`t it". I probably would have said the same thing, before I got into detailing.

As far as homeowners with rotaries, I`d doubt it. I only know one guy who owns a rotary, and he only uses it on his boat (which is quite nicely hologrammed, BTW). What I think it is is dealership guys breaking out the wool pad at 1500rpms on a BRAND NEW finish, because they don`t know any better.

I see it all the time on black cars that are a couple of months old, the dealership guys hide their work with fillers, but they dont last forever. Every time but one I`ve pointed out such damage the owner has said "It`s 3 months old, why the hell would I pay you to detail it". Sometimes I try to make them see the light, and sometimes I just say "fine, suit yourself".

stilez
05-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I see it all the time...I remember detailing in Brooklyn many months back and the client telling me how the local detailers butcher the cars. I did a red XKR with buffer burns on the hood, tops of fenders, and mirrors. They were pretty bad, but what I found worse was how they only buffed those few areas.

Buffer trails/holograms are the reason why I stick with Menzerna polishes. Menzerna FPII has ALWAYS finished perfect for me when used with a polishing pad @ 1500rpm...rotary of course :).

imported_Sullybob
05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
I see this all of the time. I work with a couple of guys who have brand new cars that look horrible. The think becuase it`s a new car the paint must be better then my 13 year old car. They will admit that my paint is shinier and deeper though. :nixweiss

ScubaStevo
05-25-2005, 01:25 PM
I notice it all the time, and my dad is already telling me to stop talking about it, saying I care about cars too much. I feel like never touching one of his vehicles again.

imported_themightytimmah
05-25-2005, 01:56 PM
My parents went through a "no free details" period when they kept complaining about my business. After about a month without weekly washes and vacuums, they started to care more about the condition of their vehicles:).