PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question ASAP: Mothers Claybar & washing

Big Mike
05-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks for stopping in. I`m actually in the middle of detailing my car right now, so that`s why the urgent message :)

If I use Mothers Clay system with the Showtime Instant Detailer it comes with, and if I use soapy water to lube the clay (and spray the Showtime ID on the car, of course), do I need to re-wash, or can I just rinse and then move on to my Meg`s #7 Glaze and then #20 Polymer Sealant?

Thanks for helping me out!

Alfisti
05-24-2005, 08:32 AM
Firstly, you don`t need to use both soap and QD...its either one of the other since both do the same thing - lubricate. You`ll just be wasting a good QD.

Secondly, you won`t need to wash. Go straight to applying #7. :xyxthumbs

White95Max
05-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Right. Showtime and soap/water will both lubricate the clay. You don`t need to use both.

Ordinarily I would not say to wash the car after claying, but since you are not using a chemical cleaner or polish (which would remove any leftover clay residue), I would wash the car again before applying #7.

Alfisti
05-24-2005, 09:10 AM
I apologize if I don`t agree :), but #7 is *slightly* abrasive/cleaning.

It contains kaolin clay which cleans and fills the surface. As a result I wouldn`t wash just to remove soap/QD residue. If the surface was untouched, then yes, I`d wash.

White95Max
05-24-2005, 09:14 AM
I`ve always thought of #7 with no abrasives/cleaners. In no way am I an expert on #7 though. I`ve only used it a few times, and I never used it for cleaning/polishing.

Alfisti
05-24-2005, 09:41 AM
I don`t mean to imply that #7 or similar glazes are like prewax cleaners or polishes...and I`m certainly no expert on #7.

But, I do know that kaolin clay, which is a pure form of hydrated aluminum silicate clay, has cleaning properties intrinsic to its microscopic structure. The minerals makeup is microscopically abrasive, and while it is generally viewed as non-abrasive, it *can* be used as an abrasive powder, because of this.

To me glazes will remove basic residue from paint but not remove serious contaminents that, say, a dedicated cleaner wax will remove.

imported_Larry A
05-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Alfisti

I don`t mean to imply that #7 or similar glazes are like prewax cleaners or polishes...and I`m certainly no expert on #7.

But, I do know that kaolin clay, which is a pure form of hydrated aluminum silicate clay, has cleaning properties intrinsic to its microscopic structure. The minerals makeup is microscopically abrasive, and while it is generally viewed as non-abrasive, it *can* be used as an abrasive powder, because of this.

To me glazes will remove basic residue from paint but not remove serious contaminents that, say, a dedicated cleaner wax will remove. You are right! A glaze is a polish with a lot of fillers in it. Megs #7 , I.H.G. and Mothers S.nG. will do a little cleaning, although very little. If after claying the paint looks good you can go to a glaze.

Accumulator
05-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Big Mike PT- if the soap solution makes the clay dissolve, switch to the Mother`s QD.

With the soap approach, just give the panel a quick rewash/rinse after the claying, it only takes a few seconds. With the QD, just wipe it off, no need to rewash.

Hope we`re not drivng Big Mike nuts with our detailed talk about #7 ;)

On the #7, I`ve used it forever, starting with many years on ss back in the day. Yeah, it contains "abrasive" clay, but it`s *functionally* non-abrasive; the clay is too fine to abrade automotive paint (even very soft lacquer). As stated, it and similar preoducts do do a little light cleaning due to the oils/solvents but they`re certainly not in the "paint cleaner" category.