PDA

View Full Version : Windshield - Prepsol/3M Adhesive Remover

imported_animes2k
05-24-2005, 01:09 AM
It was quite by accident that I stumbled across this, but I ended up using some 3M GPAC (08984) on my windshield and was absolutely stunned by how well it cleaned it. I did half the windshield after cleaning the whole thing with clay and IG...

Toss the towel (cotton) onto the 3M`d surface and it slid right off. Toss the towel on the IG/clay only surface and it stuck. It solved two problems - clarity and wiper skip. I`ve learned to deal with the chips and pock marks of my relatively upright windshield... It was like using a glass polish without all the elbow grease.

Now, I realize some windshields may have a coating (or is it IN the glass - that BMW/Mercedes bluish hue) and surrounding bits (wiper blades, vinyl trim, etc) will NOT react well with this stuff and painted areas would need to be re-waxed if this got on them, but WOW... I then did the inside of my windshield. :D (would have passed out if it weren`t a convertible!)

Is there any situation in which this stuff would have a particularly bad reaction with exterior glass? I would only consider it on windshields... Obviously tint would not react well, but on exterior glass?

Thanks!

imported_themightytimmah
05-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Shouldn`t cause any trouble, I used it on a windshield that hadn`t been cleaned in months atleast, that I needed to be clean for my driver`s test. (sap, bird bombs, I don`t want to know what else). Did a helluva job on the gunk. (still failed the test though :()

Accumulator
05-24-2005, 05:26 PM
I`ve used it to remove decals/etc. from glass, never had a problem.

chml17l
05-24-2005, 06:04 PM
animes2k--As previously stated, the Prepsol shouldn`t hurt glass, but definitely keep it away from anything coated/tinted.

Try Autoglym`s Glass Cleaner/Polish for routine windshield cleaning. It is solvent based like the Prepsol, but not as overpowering in the interior.

Autoglym`s Glass Polish is great for exterior or interior glass. It is a solvent based polish unlike liquid spray cleaners and it really cuts the vinyl haze build-up. I apply a few dabs on a paper towel and spread it across the windshield. It dries almost instantly and buffs off with a clean mf to the clearest streak-free windows I have ever seen.