PDA

View Full Version : Buffing: tape or no tape?

602rwtq
05-23-2005, 11:10 PM
I`ve had problems with compound/polish getting in jambs, hinges, cracks, and seals. But when I use masking tape to cover these problem areas, there is an obvious border left behind where the tape was.

Does anybody have a solution?

imported_themightytimmah
05-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Usually I`m just very careful about taping out to the edges of the paint so that all the paint is similar, then when I get done, I QEW with a chenille mitt and go at the seams pretty aggressively. I am not that picky about the QEWing, just around the seams and on any wax spots that I might have missed on the wipedown.

Tanat198
05-23-2005, 11:46 PM
I believe 3M has a masking tape that is good for masking without leaving any trace of glue on the surface. You may wanna look at hardware store. I`m sure it`s available anywhere.

602rwtq
05-24-2005, 12:07 AM
What`s QEW`ing and what`s a chenille mit?

imported_liam
05-24-2005, 12:49 AM
QEW - Quick and Easy Wash, hoseless washing method -

do a search.

Chenille mit - type of washing mit that can release trapped dirt, unlike a sponge/rag - do a search.

salty
05-24-2005, 01:35 AM
602rwtq if you mean that there is a difference under the taped area compared to the compounded area, then remove the tape after compound and polish the area. I don`t know what products you are using but if you have excessive polish in seams, you might be using too much. Try less and see if it does the job.

Casebrius
05-24-2005, 09:08 AM
3M`s blue tape is great, but I couldn`t find it for less than $5 a roll, enough for about 2-3 cars. Does regular masking tape work OK or does it leave residue?

White95Max
05-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Regular masking tape would probably leave a residue on the paint.

If you`re going to be using masking tape on a vehicle, just get the tape made for that purpose.

Casebrius
05-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by White95Max

Regular masking tape would probably leave a residue on the paint.

PROBABLY or DOES? Do you have experience with it?

SK2003TypeS
05-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Hmmm, I don`t tend to run into this issue. I just tape the trim and cover the glass with some T-shirts. As far as the crevices, I`d try to lay a strip of tape inside the crevice. Ex: Open the hood and tape on the "rain gutter" where the bolts/screws hold the quarter panel on. Is this the area you`re refering too ? :nixweiss

Otherwise, as mentioned above, there may be too much product being used.

I`ve been painting an entire new 2nd floor......it`s been killing me to actually use 3M`s painters tape for....painting !!! :faint:

SamIam
05-24-2005, 11:45 AM
I have experience taping with regular masking tape, and it DOES leave a ridge and adhesive residue.

Accumulator
05-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Yeah, regular (tan) tape will leave nasty stuff on the paint and so will cheap, generic blue masking tape (*DO NOT* use the generic blue stuff from Lowe`s).

Back when the regular stuff was all there was we frequently had to use solvents to remove the residue.

stilez
05-24-2005, 11:57 AM
If I`m using Final Polish or Optimum Polish, I don`t tape because I VERY RARELY get any splatter or dusting. If I am compounding or using other products, I tape up the emblems and any high points with Duct Brand Painter`s Tape with clean-release.