PDA

View Full Version : dealer washed my new car! help!

andrew300
05-23-2005, 09:50 PM
ok i have a 05 jet black bmw m3. it is only 3 months old and when i took it into get my alarm installed, they washed it even after i told them not too. i actually polished it the week before with megs 80. now i have a car with swirls that 80 wont take out. i am planning on keeping this car for a while and the paint is very soft. i am polishing it 4 times a year with 80 but now im going to have to use dacp or ssr 2.5 for the second time in 3 months. do you suggest i use dacp on it again? i am just concerned about in 2 or 3 years that i wont have any clear coat because of my polishing. what do you suggest?

RuffRyder
05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
If the swirls really bother you, then I`d go at it with DACP, and just keep it really well protected. Unless, you`ve managed to do something horrific to your paint, I doubt 2 applications of DACP will completely kill your CC. Otherwise, just live with it.

Either way, I`d rip the dealer a new one if I were you.

drewski59
05-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Those *$&(# dealers!:mad:

Anyways, go ahead and use DACP to get the swirls out this time. Just don`t make a habit out of it.

As far as the dealer goes, I hate it when they do that. I write a post-it note and put it on the steering wheel when I take it in. Also, make sure they write "no car wash" on the work order, otherwise chances are it`ll get swirled up!

:wavey

JasonD
05-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Taking into consideration that your car was built at least a month or two before you bought it, I`d say your paint has fully cured by now, so I wouldn`t worry about damaging it with some light polishing.

First of all, how are you polishing? By hand or by machine?

I suggest polishing with whatever works, and by PC or Cyclo (my new favorite tool!) If #80 doesn`t take out the swirls, then step up to #83. I actually consider #83 to be fairly mild in the polishing dept. so I wouldn`t worry about doing any permanent damage. I`ve polished my Expedition nearly a dozen times over the last year, and it looks like the day I bought it. Unless you are using a rotary, you aren`t creating enough heat to actually remove any significant amount of clear to be worried about.

White95Max
05-23-2005, 09:58 PM
For future visits to the dealer, put a huge sign on the steering wheel that says DO NOT WASH THIS CAR. While you`re at it, throw one at the bottom of the windshield too.

And you might as well tell every employee you see that you DO NOT want your car washed.

I`d go over it again with SSR2 or #80/yellow pad.

andrew300
05-23-2005, 10:19 PM
allright ill hit it with dacp with a green sonus pad to limit the cutting action, i dont really think it needs a orange cutting pad really. i actually put signs in it for service but all they were doing was activating an alarm so i didnt think they would wash it. plus it was just polished and waxed two days before

Accumulator
05-24-2005, 10:37 AM
manawar- I`d be more concerned about needing to use the #80 four times a year. Might oughta reconsider your wash technique ;)

I really would have a talk with the service manager and/or the owner of the dealership. I`ve had "the talk" with the powers that be at the dealerships I patronize and there were never any subsequent problems. They know you`re serious when you set up scheduled meetings about this sort of thing.

Lowejackson
05-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

manawar- I`d be more concerned about needing to use the #80 four times a year. Might oughta reconsider your wash technique ;)

I was thinking the same thing

jet_m3
05-24-2005, 02:07 PM
they did that to my jb m3 as well :woot:

94BlkStang
05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

I really would have a talk with the service manager and/or the owner of the dealership. I`ve had "the talk" with the powers that be at the dealerships I patronize and there were never any subsequent problems. They know you`re serious when you set up scheduled meetings about this sort of thing.

Have you ever had a black car? If you have, then you know how easy it is to swirl and leave marring. #80 is very mild and shouldn`t cause any problems. I use it at least 3 times a year on my Mustang and it`s a 94 and the paint looks better than the majority of newer cars out there..:D

Accumulator
05-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by 94BlkStang

Have you ever had a black car? If you have, then you know how easy it is to swirl and leave marring...

Besides the cars I `ve done for others, as best I can recall I`ve owned nine black cars, seven of which were year-round daily drivers (I keep thinking I`m forgetting some, but anyhow). My first five black cars were back in the days of single stage, when black lacquer, and to a lesser extent black enamel, were significantly softer than other paints, so I really do know whereof I speak. Most recently I was caring for a black `05 rent-a-Suburban that I first removed the marring from. No problem washing it without re-marring the paint, it was just a lot of work.

Now that most cars are b/c, black isn`t really any easier to mar than other colors, it`s all just scratches in the clear. Black merely shows such defects better.

You might check out my "extreme wash technique" threads to see how I avoid marring when I wash. Just ask Bill D, who has a black car- it`s all about using the right wash, the right techniques, and the right equipment (e.g., a foamgun).

#80 *is* pretty mild; I`ve only had one paint (the current version ofRM brand b/c, about four weeks old) that it was too harsh for. But I figure that less polishing is always better.

Bill D
05-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Oh yeah, with two black cars in the family ( the other the beater Maxima) and a THIRD on the way :scared: ( Ceramiclear CLK Cabrio) and guess who being in charge of the maintenance of the other two besides my own :o, I`m steadily reaching the type of experience Accumulator has with black.

When it comes to washing, considerable care must be used. Black is going to show you right away if you`ve done some significant marring and it will tease and taunt you if you have micromarring when you view the car in different lighting-especially down here in the intense FL sun.

I`ll alwys plug the foam gun but in addition, plenty of soft high quality washing and drying materials really are a must. Also, be sure to switch over to new, fresh ones before you think you really might need to. You really should not risk trying to draw out some extended use ( mitts especially but WW towels also). Black simply will not forgive.

imported_plazaman
05-24-2005, 06:14 PM
typical bmw service. before my autopian days, ive always let them do the wash

Michaelelts
05-24-2005, 08:00 PM
and they think they are doing you a favor with the washing!

I have a sign printed which I leave on the dash

"Thou shall not wash me"

my aggreavation was with my new Acura TL in black. the regular detail guy did not show up( he actually did a nice job on the other acura I had bought from them a few months before) the salesman rahter then `upset` me by delaying the delivery had the lot guy do the car. I really should have told them to stuff the deal It has taken me 2 months to undue the marring and I am still not satisfied