PDA

View Full Version : Best way to apply woolite for leather cleaning?

Jeff_M
05-23-2005, 09:34 PM
I`m looking to clean the leather on my 4runner seats with diluted Woolite. A friend of mine said he used a brush (the kind you use on your nails in the shower) and it really got the dirt out of the crevices. I`m a bit worried about using something with such stiff bristles. But the deep cleaning is appealing. Will this scratch or harm my leather?

bunker
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Yes, I too use a fairly stiff brush to scrub leather seats. It seems to get at the dirt in the texture of the leather. It is amazing the difference it will make in the appearance.

I have found that after I clean with Woolite I rinse with plain water or the soap residue will feel sticky. This will just attract more dirt. Of course follow with a good leather treatment.

jasonmac
05-24-2005, 05:52 AM
It`s probably okay to use the brush you used, however, there are bhbs (boars hair brushes) for leather.

Casebrius
05-24-2005, 08:50 AM
what dilution is used for leather?

Bill D
05-24-2005, 08:56 AM
6 parts water 1 part Woolite

Jeff_M
05-24-2005, 12:31 PM
I was a bit apprehensive about the stiffer bristles as I commenced my leather cleaning last night.

I wet the leather down with the 6:1 diluted Woolite via a spray bottle. As I began to scrub and noticed no scratching nor ill effects, I proceeded to work the solution more vigorously. I had a cloth, saturated with water, which I used to wipe off the soapy residue after I was done scrubbing each seat. I then towel dried the remaining water. The seats dried completely within 15 minutes.

Unfortunately the sun was setting as I proceeded to apply my Zaino leather conditioner to the freshly scrubbed surfaces. This morning I was astounded to see completely rejuvenated upholstery! What looked appeared to be major cracking and flaking was simply years of dirt trapped deeped in the creases. The cracking that did exist was almost invisible as the crevices no longer contained dirt. And because of the thorough cleaning, the leather was much more accepting of the conditioner than ever before. Thumbs up to scrubbing with Woolite, and a big thank you to those at Autopia who suggested this.