PDA

View Full Version : Just spent $350 at autogeek.net

autoguru21
05-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Hi,a newbie to autopia,but not new to detailing,been lurking & reading here for a while.

I bought a pc 7424 & pad kit,1 bottle each of poorboys ssr 1,2,2.5 & 3,2 cans of natty`s paste wax,1 bottle of meguiars #83 dacp,2 bottles mothers tire & rubber cleaner and that`s all i ordered today,i have megs #16,#26,nxt paste & liquid,gold class wax,nxt wash & gold class wash,etc in my arsenal.

I am wondering what type of paint a 1989 Volvo 760 Station Wagon would have,single stage or clearcoat,and what the best products from my list would be,to restore the dull oxidized finish. This is a friend`s car that i chose as a canidate for restoration and to practice using my porter cable buffer,as he doesn`t care if i wreck the paint a little bit. I would appreciate any insight you can give me on using the pc 7424 and pads,as this is my first time using a real buffer (have used cheapo 1 speed ones). Tia

P.S: I already have claybars & lube and i intend on thoroughly washing then claybarring before any further steps.

Peter

White95Max
05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
To find out if it has SS or BC/CC paint, use a light polish on an applicator, rub it into the paint, and see if the applicator turns the color of the car. If it does, that`s paint transfer from SS paint.

You`ve got some great products on that list. :up

Tips?

Just make sure you work the SSRs until they are almost clear. And keep the SSR3 stashed until you get a REALLY bad vehicle to work on! SSR3 is strong stuff.

imported_Burlyq
05-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I like Autogeek and have ordered through them many times with no problems, but they do have high shipping rates. I was just going to order a pad kit until I saw that it would cost 15 bucks to ship it, ouch.

http://www.autogeek.net/shipping.html

JeffM
05-23-2005, 04:40 PM
If you have been lurking here a while you must know about the search button.

Your questions are pretty basic.

Wipe some SSR 1 with a applicator on the paint. If your paint color is on your pad, guess what, you have SS paint.

trueblueblood
05-23-2005, 05:03 PM
And to think its just your initial investment, it gets worse:o

Start a detailing fund

:D !

goceltics34
05-23-2005, 05:20 PM
You got off cheaply! Consider yourself lucky!

Pats300zx
05-23-2005, 06:19 PM
WOW..nice purchases...welcome to the Addiction :D

autoguru21
05-23-2005, 08:16 PM
I`d like to thank everyone for the advice of my newfound purchases to my already "Autopian" addiction,i really like it here,you all give wonderful advice. I will be taking before and after photos of my work,the interior needs a deep shampoo,the leather seats need some love & attention,and the paintwork needs alotta work,it`s dull with no reflection at the moment,don`t think the car has been waxed in some time. I will be taking pictures that i hope will be up to "Autopia" standards.

Sincerely,

Peter C. Bellantoni Jr

Owner & Operator

Pete`s Perfect Shine Auto Detail & Repair

JasonD
05-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by goceltics34

You got off cheaply! Consider yourself lucky!

After going through the receipts I kept from last year, for tax purposes, I added up over $1,800 worth of detailing products purchased from various online vendors.

Like everyone said, welcome to the addiction!

imported_animes2k
05-23-2005, 11:25 PM
$1800 is getting off cheap. Try getting into camera gear. I spent that much on ONE LENS. Of course, I`m well on my way with the detailing supplies...

SK2003TypeS
05-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Nice....$1800 in a year.....I have some catching up to do...:D

I`ve been on a product diet lately. I`ve been fighting myself like crazy the past few months. I already have a bunch

of things to play with in the queue.

When you buy the pop up tent......you step into a nicer arena. I`m shadow shopping for my second one. :p

and Welcommmmmme.....to the Machinnnnneeee......