PDA

View Full Version : Best protectant for wheels/ loweres against brake dust

Pages : [1] 2

AudiOn19s
05-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I`m getting my BMW M3 ready for a track day at Mid Ohio on Memorial day and started the first round of prep this weekend. Well part of that was a good wash and 2 fresh coats of UPP to make her easier to clean after all of the crap that`s going to be flying around.

Anyhow. I installed a set of Hawk HT-10 RACE pads on the car and did the initial bedding process and quickly realized that not only do they dust ALOT but the dust seems to be pretty nasty stuff that might possibly stain the wheels and become embedded in the lowers if they`re not properly protected and then addressed right away. After the initial bedding I brought the car home...let the brakes/ wheels cool and then immediatly washed and protedted with Klass SG x3.

Long of the short...should I be using something other than KSG for the weels or is that about the best I`m gonna get. Also should I put a couple of coats of SG on the lowers of the car to insure safety and keep as much of this dust from embedding in the paint as possible (it`s a white car).

Andy

Lowejackson
05-23-2005, 01:46 PM
A good sealant such as SG should help and I wonder if each of the 3 layers of SG had sufficient time to bond before another layer was added

AudiOn19s
05-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Probably didn`t give enough time to bond before another layer was added...but I was trying to insure completely coverage more than anything yesterday after seeing the initial dusting from the new pads. Gave each layer 20 mintues to bond then removed and did another layer...I know it`s not the 24 hours between but wanted to get as much as possible on there quickly..I`ll be doing subsequent coats over the next few days as well.

More than anything...I`ve got SG, Zaino Z2, 4*UPP, Wolfgang, AIO , ect...just wanted to make sure that the SG was the best for protecting the wheels of what I`ve got...or if there was anything that could be had that`s better I could probably order it and have it here before the track day if I act quickly.

Andy

Lowejackson
05-23-2005, 02:25 PM
As long as the wheels were spotlessly clean before hand, I would simply leave the current layer to cure and wash the wheels as soon as possible after the racing

imported_hadboosttroy
05-23-2005, 03:50 PM
those hawk race pads produce just flat out nasty dust :eek:

i`d put as many layers on as you can, because your wheels will be black when you are done with your event!

:up to you for using the car as it was meant to be used

imported_themightytimmah
05-23-2005, 10:39 PM
The KSG will do a good job on the rims, but I`d suggest getting some 3M clear film and putting it on the lower part of the car. I`d presume race pads put out some pretty nasty dust, and on a white car its cheap insurance, IMHO.

AudiOn19s
05-24-2005, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the tips guys...I think I`m going to be overly anal and just apply a coat of SG to the wheels every day until Monday which is my track day...overkill yes...BUT troy is right...even after 1 bedding session with the new pads the wheels were a dark Charcol color..and these are the factory polished 19`s. I immediatly washed them and and went to work protecting...I can`t imagine how they`re going to look after a full track day...should be a good test of the SG and possibly some different wheel cleaners when I get home.

But enough worrying for now...I`m gonna go enjoy the car and worry about a full detail session afterwords. thanks for the input guys.

Andy

stilez
05-24-2005, 07:04 AM
AIO > Sg x 5-6 would be my choice. I found Klasse to be the best protecting sealant I`ve ever used, with Zaino lasting only a lil longer. Also, Klasse repels dust well whereas Zaino always seems to find it. WG is far too weak and I`m not too familiar with UPP on wheels.

tom p.
05-24-2005, 07:19 AM
...if you already have it in your tool box.

SilverLexus
05-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Poorboys Wheel Sealant is the best I have found. I find it lasts longer than AIO.

pin
05-24-2005, 08:49 AM
As for the OTC products I can think of, which are the Michelin and Rain-X brake dust repellants, how do those rate compared to the previously mentioned products in this thread? I notice a distinct lack of mention for those, so that`s why I`m asking. Thanks.

chml17l
05-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by SilverLexus

Poorboys Wheel Sealant is the best I have found. I find it lasts longer than AIO.

I second the Poorboys WS. I found it repels dust better for me than AIO/SG(3x).

stevet
05-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by SilverLexus

That doesn`t suprise me since AIO is mostly a cleaner. It has protection in it but it`s mostly a cleaner.

I`m curious, have you PB Wheel Sealant fans applied this super durable sealant to your whole car yet?

maecrispy
05-24-2005, 10:30 AM
not yet but will do a half and half on the hood this weekend. I`ll strip the right side of the hood of eveything and then do AIO/PBWS*2. I`ll be using AIO as a base since I figure just about everyone here uses a base for their LSP`s and I currently have AIO as a base for UPP*3.

SilverLexus
05-24-2005, 10:49 AM
"I`m curious, have you PB Wheel Sealant fans applied this super durable sealant to your whole car yet?"

I don`t think its intended to be used that way. Steve engineered it to withstand high temperatures of brake/wheel conditions. It may be a great sealant for paint as well...