PDA

View Full Version : :( are emblems really worth THAT much? :(

ClayMan
05-23-2005, 12:55 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51973&stc=1

Was wondering if you pros had any suggestions... short of a total respraying of the panel...

WrxRob513
05-23-2005, 01:24 PM
debadge. polish. rebadge.

I don`t see why that wouldn`t work... :confused: .

ClayMan
05-23-2005, 01:32 PM
the scratches are quite deep though... (i can run it through my nails) could it be that easy?

do i have to polish the whole panel, or just the scratched area?

imported_themightytimmah
05-23-2005, 01:38 PM
Pop off the badge (saw behind it with fishing line), douse the whole area with 3M adhesive remover, wash off. Touchup paint, 2000 grit sand, compound and finish with a finishing polish. I`d compound just the sanded area and then finishing polish the whole panel, but its up to you. It wont be 100%, but it`ll save you a ton over respraying, and since the badge draws your eyes to it, you wont notice the repair from more than a foot or two.

Alfisti
05-23-2005, 01:44 PM
That`s nasty. :eek:

They are very deep, as you say. You won`t be able to remove the scratches completely, but you`ll be able to reduce them.

You can polish just the scratched area with a 4" pad and PC. It`ll take quite abit of work to get them down, as the Audi clear is very hard (if its a recent model). I wouldn`t even bother with 6" pads...you need the spot cutting ability of a 4".

An alternative is to use touchup paint and Langka.

ClayMan
05-23-2005, 07:47 PM
thanks for the advice guys...

is there a relatively easy way to tell how deep a scratch is? primer deep? metal deep?

imported_themightytimmah
05-23-2005, 08:26 PM
If you see rust - definetly metal deep. If not, look at the hue of it. If its more of a whiteish gray, its probably primer. If its more of a silver, its probably metal.

danwatt
05-24-2005, 01:19 AM
That`s nothing. When I removed the trunk emblem on my car to polish the panel, a huge chip of paint came with it. Now I get to repaint the whole panel.

Accumulator
05-24-2005, 10:47 AM
I can`t get the link to work, but when I read words like "badge, scratch, rust, primer, audi" I think works like "professional respray/blend" and "debadge", as in fix the paint right and leave the badge(s) off ;)

the other pc
05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
Just looking at the pic I don`t think the scratches go down to base color. If they went down to primer or past you`d see it very clearly (a magnifier might help). It`s a little harder to tell if it went though the clear into the base.

I`d try some ScratchX by hand first, with the badge on, just to get an idea what`s going on. That should reduce any minor scratches and give you a better look at the deeper ones.

PC.