PDA

View Full Version : Single stage (Ferrari) technique/products?

imported_animes2k
05-23-2005, 09:34 AM
I have yet to attack a single stage paint, but have a good referral from a client whose two cars I`ve done. I`m a little hesitant about the car because it`s a red 1988 Ferrari 328 (I`m assuming this is single-stage). I`m guessing it`s relatively well-maintained, as the client said "I need it detailed, it was out in the rain yesterday" and "What kind of wax do you use?".

Of course, on the clients cars I was using a synthetic-based technique, but would imagine this client would be happy with a good coat of high-quality carnuba (P21S) - especially on red.

If the car looks to need some conditioning with the DA (light swirl removal), should I switch up my products or techniques to accomodate the single stage paint? I`ve been relying on the 3M line and Sonus DAS pads, but have some unused SFX (1 and 2) pads.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on getting the best gloss and shine out of Ferrari paint (or other Ferrari particulars) I`d appreciate it.

Thanks!

brwill2005
05-23-2005, 05:14 PM
As long as your products say, "safe for all paints" or safe for non-clearcoated paint, you are fine. Usually single stage paints are less sensitive to scratching than clear coated paint. There was also a thread started by Turbomangt where he talked about doing a detail on an oxidized Ferrari single stage paint job. I think the p21s would be fine.

Accumulator
05-23-2005, 07:14 PM
I use 3M`s PI-III RC and MG on single stage. I used to use Meg`s stuff on it all the time. Anything that`ll work on b/c will be fine on ss, just remember that ss red is softer than b/c red, so try something very mild first. And don`t panic when you see all the red paint on your pads ;)

This is all assuming it`s ss, I haven`t worked on Ferraris.

Rickrack
05-24-2005, 07:56 AM
I have been in the detail business for 10 years now and have done many older Ferrari`s with single stage paint and have yet to have a problem. I would say that at least 80% of all my details are exotic cars and the only paint that I`ve found hard to remove scratches from was on an older Acura NSX with SS paint. If you know the 3M line and feel comfortable with it, I would recommend using it. Just start off with something mild to begin with and move onto something a little more agressive if needed, but like Accumulator said: don`t be afraid when you see your pad turn red. If you are using a rotary buffer, I would recommend keeping your RPM`s between 1200-1400 when polishing and mist each panel lightly with some water or QD to help spread out the product and keep the surface cool. Most people that own Ferrari`s keep them garaged and don`t need long term durability, so P21S would be fine to use. On a car of this caliber I would charge a few extra dollars and give the customer a bottle of QD and a MF towel to wipe the car down with after every ride instead of having him use a cheap car soap that will ruin all your hard work ! Hope everything goes well and don`t forget to post some before & after pictures! Good luck.

~Rick

m4xmw
05-24-2005, 08:40 AM
If you have a look at my thread in click and brag, I recently detailed a 308 gts.

I used a green sonus pad and SSR1, pc set on 4.

The pad had a fair amount of paint transferred on to it, but wasnt doing any harm, just removing the dull, or dead paint.

It was in very good condition to start with.

I followed that with VM, hand applied ,and topped with #16.

Very simple but very effective.

I spoke to the owner yesterday and he commented how good it was, with" you can see the second hand on my watch moving in the reflection".

And I have loads of refferal work from him too.

Hope this helps

Mark

imported_pdsterns
05-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by RickRack

On a car of this caliber I would charge a few extra dollars and give the customer a bottle of QD and a MF towel to wipe the car down with after every ride instead of having him use a cheap car soap that will ruin all your hard work !

Great idea !! Give him a little demo on how-to-use it too. Tell him the big secret of only using it in the direction of air flow ie no round-e-round motion.

imported_animes2k
05-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Wow, thanks for all the great info and the great idea of giving him some QD and a MF towel. I should pick up a gallon or two of QD :) And not to worry, should this detail come through, I`ll definitely have pictures to post.

I decided to pick up both some #16 (from PakShak) and take the plunge on a jar of Souvern for exotics (especially red and black), since folks really seem to love it. If I`m reserving it for exotics, I think it should last me a looong time (assuming it doesn`t slip out and shatter on the ground ;) ).

Thanks again for all the helpful input. I should have done my searching before posting (came up with a lot of great info here from over the years), but you guys were very nice in not ripping me a new one :D

Wish me luck. I`ve got two cars this weekend (blue 330xi, red e320 convertible) so I`ll have those to share too...