PDA

View Full Version : Lets have some fun......

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_turbomangt
05-23-2005, 08:16 AM
OK, we all know the difference between wax and synthetics, or do we? I`m not a chemist but I do know carnuaba comes from trees, which makes it a natural by-product. Synthetics are man made from chemicals. What I don`t understand is the HUGE price difference amoung waxes. if they are basically the same, how can their be a spread from a $3.00 can of turtle wax to a $1,300 can of Zymol estate wax? what am I missing here? Are they adding a super duper secret ingrediant in the high priced stuff or are we the public getting a snow job? would love to hear comments on this one. Gary

brwill2005
05-23-2005, 05:30 PM
I think in the case of the zymol, yes it is a rip off. It is my understanding that there are several different grades of carnauba. The best grades are much lighter, with less impurities. The worst grades are darker. The carnauba is graded when it is still in brick form, probably in Brazil. I was told by a representative from Pro-wax that a company in Germany does specialized refining of carnauba, that further removes impurities from the wax. As far as the secret ingredients, I dont know. I know P21s has some beex wax in it, but that really is not that secret. Some of the other carnauba waxes, like Pinnacle have polymers in it also.

Accumulator
05-23-2005, 07:24 PM
I always figured that "economies of scale" factored in. Something that`s produced in huge quantities can be sold at a lower per-unit cost.

Marketing towards "Joe Average" means easy availability (stuff stocked everywhere, so make a lot of it) and reasonable prices (and costs, so they can *afford* to make a lot of it). They`ll sell more product to guys like Joe than to all the Autopians combined, so they`d rather make a dollar every hour than twenty dollars every day.

DETAILKING
05-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Carnuba wax products are fairly inexpensive to make. Most of the time it`s a blend of differnt waxes, bee`s wax, polyethylene wax, parrifin wax,etc. The carnuba refining you are talking about is bleeching so it is white and doesn`t have that yellowish tint to it....

Tasty
05-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Anyone who would pay $1500 for a thing of wax is a total moron.

imported_turbomangt
05-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Tasty, you gave me a good chuckle when I read your post, I couldn`t agree more. Gary

whitestang00
05-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Wow... $1500 Zymol Estate Wax? Anyone knows where I can buy some of that stuff?

I checked local autozone, pep boys and walmart but didn`t find any :nixweiss

imported_Intermezzo
05-24-2005, 03:14 PM
It`s certainly not an OTC product.

http://www.consolidatedautoworks.com/zymolpages/products%20pages/vintage.htm

the other pc
05-24-2005, 03:30 PM
Zymol Vintage Estate Glaze is up to $1511 now? :(

Dang, I knew I should`a picked some up back when it was only $1300! :D

PC.

whitestang00
05-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

It`s certainly not an OTC product.

http://www.consolidatedautoworks.com/zymolpages/products%20pages/vintage.htm

Well... since it`s an unlimited supply, then I guess it`s not that bad of a deal... :nixweiss

I mean, a true autopian will probably spend a few times more just trying out different waxes throughout the years and years.

spotpad
05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
There are always people who are willing to pay for overpriced goods (i.e. they`re willing to be ripped off in style for showing off).

Since there is no limit to the refills, can`t someone in autopia buy one and send out samples? He could even re-sell it every time a refill comes in :D

wannafbody
05-24-2005, 08:57 PM
IMO Zymol is all about marketing-and they do a darn good job-its just like the person who pays $6000 for a purse or shoes-its STATUS

stevet
05-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Tasty

Anyone who would pay $1500 for a thing of wax is a total moron.

I agree but I know many people that think we (Autopians) are total morons for spending the money we do on products.

RuffRyder
05-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by stevet

I agree but I know many people that think we (Autopians) are total morons for spending the money we do on products.

But then again there are people who see a car as being just transportation and think anyone is total moron for spending all that money on something like a Ferrari. Never underestimate the true stupidity of closed-mindedness.

I like that the directions for the application of this Zymol stuff are to rub it in your hands to soften it and then rub your hand all over your car. I see how it`d be hard to get any consistent coat on and use WAY too much product.

imported_krsjuan
05-24-2005, 11:07 PM
I`ve heard that zymol estate wax gives your car about a 5hp increase per coat.