PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer Questions

volunteer1816
05-21-2005, 08:49 PM
I just got an Excel 2,750 PSI Pressure Washer today for cleaning around the house. I know many pros use them while detailing and I have a few questions:

-What tip do you use? (This is my biggest question!)

-Do you have to be extra careful when using it on the paint?

-Is there any precautions to take when doing the wheels?

-Will it remove too much of the undercoat when doing wheel wells?

-Do I have to worry about removing wax?

I have used pressure washers for years on concrete and siding, just never on a car. Since I have been doing details almost every weekend here lately, I am wondering if this can make my work either more efficient or better quality. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Beason
05-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Doesnt do that good and still can damage paint. My friend does this to his truck and even after he is done I can run my finger across is and you can tell there is alot of dirt on the paint still. Works great on wheel wells though

volunteer1816
05-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Beason

Doesnt do that good and still can damage paint. My friend does this to his truck and even after he is done I can run my finger across is and you can tell there is alot of dirt on the paint still. Works great on wheel wells though

I would still be using a wash, just using the pressure washer for the rinse.

imported_themightytimmah
05-23-2005, 01:00 AM
I don`t use one to rinse (prefer sheeting water over car without nozzle), but P/Ws do do a primo job on rims/tires/wheel wells. Particularly when combined with an acid-based wheel cleaner, a good pressure washer will just blast off some pretty tough grime. One caveat - you can just put a tight nozzle on and blast away at most rims, but watch out for clearcoated rims with a chipping clear. You will catch the edge, and you will make it worse. Don`t ask me how I know (on a semi-related note, mid-90`s subaru rims SUCK).

Another use that you may not have though of is floormats. On all rubber mats and some carpeted ones (durable ones), you can put a moderate-pressure nozzle on and blast away. Just spray em down with diluted APC first, spot treat with folex, and let it rip.

*Disclaimer* I`ve never had any problems with these methods, but believe me, you can go wrong fast with a pressure washer. Don`t sue me if you blow your rims off your car ;).

Casebrius
05-23-2005, 07:10 AM
As long as you keep the wand at a distance, I would think pressure washing would be a better alternative to get VERY soiled vehicles prepped for a mit wash.

imported_animes2k
05-23-2005, 11:17 PM
I`ve not had the need for one yet, but I do know my brother managed to blast THROUGH the paint on his 93 prelude.... Of course, that didn`t matter much because it wasn`t long before it ended up like this:

http://www.noestudios.com/photo/gallery/cars/brys%20prelude/front.jpg

he was fine. :)

danwatt
05-24-2005, 01:12 AM
They are great for the underbody (especially after you were stuck in the mud), rims, cold engine blocks, and giving your friends the bends. Don`t let em near the paint.

Hemi57
05-24-2005, 02:08 AM
We have water restrictions here in Melbourne and the only options for home washing vehicles is buckets and hoses connected to Pressure Washers. I have been using my PW for over 2 years now with no adverse effects. I keep the jet broad and use it to wet down the whole car, then I hand wash with a mit and rinse off with the PW.

Works fine, no damage to report and does save a lot of water.

Lowejackson
05-24-2005, 06:14 AM
If you keep the pressure very low or stand some distance from the car, they are ok. For a very dirty car it can be a useful way of removing the worst of the dirt.

Rinsing on very very low pressure can be effective

Matt M, PA
05-24-2005, 08:26 AM
Since getting the CR Spotless system, I have been using my pressure washer more. I only use it for rinsing.

As usual common sense should be your guide. (Although, present company excluded...that seems to be dying off more and more these days.)

Don`t get really close, and don`t use the special "twirly" higher pressue wands.

IMO, if when using a PW correctly and paint comes off....if was going to come off anyway.

volunteer1816
05-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I will give it a whirl this weekend. I will try rinsing the car with it to see if I see any pros or cons. I am also going to remove each wheel and clean the inside this time with the pressure washer. I also plan on blasting the inder carriage, wheel wells, & engine. Wish me luck!!!