PDA

View Full Version : How much does a new paing job cost?

Focusedonsound
12-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Well im just curious as to how much I could look to spend on a new paint job.
Also Ive heard of people having their cars sprayed with extra coats of clear at the dealer or body shop for added protection. Is this a good idea?

thanks Nick

rockford33
12-22-2004, 11:41 AM
Not an expert here, but I recently looked into getting one of my cars re-painted. Basically, there is a huge range dependng on how much you want to pay and how good of a job you want done. Go to Maaco, $300, probably get overspray, not much prep, and definitely not stripped down to the sheet metal. A place near me that specializes in Mercedes collision repair(but does any kind of car) quoted me a low of $3500 with a high of $6000. Basically, they dismantle the body, strip down to metal, and start from scratch. They do excellent work, but I can`t justify it right now on a toy car that only cost me $5000 to begin with. It also depends on location. GSRStilez has an excellent paint job for half of what I was quoted above. He`s in CT (I think) and I`m down in Baltimore/DC area, so prices can be slightly different. Just check out a few places, get references on cars they have painted, and maybe check with some local car clubs. They usually know the good painters and body shops in the area because they use them more than the average person (or at least they might be able to tell you who to avoid).