PDA

View Full Version : Who is here?

Pages : [1] 2

SpeedWax
05-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Which manufacturers post answers to questions in this forum?

JeffM
05-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Not as much anymore, alot of the members have driven them away.

Prometheus
05-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah, unfortunately there have been some "controversial" happenings with manufacturers here lately, and I dont know if any of them regurarly check in anymore. Steve (Poorboy) used to, but I dont know if he does anymore, and I know that Forrest (from Mother`s) left also. I haven`t seen Mike Phillips in a while either, but I think he still checks in every once in a while. If there is a specific manufacturer you want to get in touch with, you may want to check detailcity`s manufacturer sponsored forums and see if they have one.

Hope this helps

JeffM
05-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Who are you looking for, seems pretty much everyone has a message board now a days.

kbshadow
05-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Prometheus

I know that Forrest (from Mother`s) left also. I haven`t seen Mike Phillips in a while either, but I think he still checks in every once in a while. .

I received this from Forrest and felt I should share it with the members of this forum.

Dear kbshadow:

Thanks for letting me know someone had posted regarding me on the autopia site. I no longer visit the site due to changes made by the site owner.

While rules may have changed since my last correspondence with the owner, I was told at that time manufacturers would only be allowed to post if they paid for the privilege of doing so. Since Iâ€â„¢m not selling product on the site, only answering questions about our products, correcting mis-statements made about them and offering solutions to problems (involving the process, rather than the products), I didnâ€â„¢t feel this was a wise use of our companyâ€â„¢s resources. They felt otherwise.

My take on the situation is they are attempting to reinvent the internet by drastically changing the way it operates. I wished them luck and now spend my time answering questions on our own forum, http://www.waxforum.com and helping others wherever possible. We have been asked to participate in other forums and will likely do so, continuing our goal of helping with the process, rather than pushing products.

Itâ€â„¢s nice to know others have remembered me. I wish you and the other posters there great success in your pursuit of the perfect finish.

Forrest Tosie

Vice President, Sales

Mothers Polishesâ€Â¢Waxesâ€Â¢Cleaners

forrest@mothers.com

SpeedWax
05-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by kbshadow

I received this from Forrest and felt I should share it with the members of this forum.

Dear kbshadow:

Thanks for letting me know someone had posted regarding me on the autopia site. I no longer visit the site due to changes made by the site owner.

While rules may have changed since my last correspondence with the owner, I was told at that time manufacturers would only be allowed to post if they paid for the privilege of doing so. Since Iâ€â„¢m not selling product on the site, only answering questions about our products, correcting mis-statements made about them and offering solutions to problems (involving the process, rather than the products), I didnâ€â„¢t feel this was a wise use of our companyâ€â„¢s resources. They felt otherwise.

My take on the situation is they are attempting to reinvent the internet by drastically changing the way it operates. I wished them luck and now spend my time answering questions on our own forum, http://www.waxforum.com and helping others wherever possible. We have been asked to participate in other forums and will likely do so, continuing our goal of helping with the process, rather than pushing products.

Itâ€â„¢s nice to know others have remembered me. I wish you and the other posters there great success in your pursuit of the perfect finish.

Forrest Tosie

Vice President, Sales

Mothers Polishesâ€Â¢Waxesâ€Â¢Cleaners

forrest@mothers.com

Well, that sure explains a lot about it. Thanks kbshadow.

imported_Sullybob
05-28-2005, 06:58 AM
I miss Forrest`s post. Very informative.

Alfisti
07-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Me too. :(

SK2003TypeS
07-11-2005, 06:40 AM
Interesting....didn`t know this. I just figured everyone was too busy hanging out on their own manufacturer`s sites.

wannafbody
07-11-2005, 07:33 PM
IMO wanting a manufacturer to pay to answer member questions is a poor business decision and hurts the legitimacy of the site.

Bobby G
07-12-2005, 08:04 PM
wannafbody... No offense, but you and many others are seriously misinformed.

The rules are the rules. You cannot pay to break the rules. Advertising does not give vendors/manufacturers the right to use the forum for customer service. After all, I seriously doubt that Mothers, for example, would allow me to do the same.

The "no spam" rule is in place to protect the community from those who try to use it for personal gain. It is too difficult to police the community as it is. Allowing "good vendors" to post about their products, but not "the bad ones" would be a nightmare. Therefore, we apply the rules evenly.

If a vendor wants to use Autopia for customer service and promotions, they need to sponsor their own forum area. Isn’t that reasonable? That way all readers know the information is commercial.

What the majority of the community does not realize is how much work we do to keep the selling out of Autopia. Why? Simply because comments within this community cause people to make buying decisions. Isn`t it nice to know that the majority of the discussions are honest and not financially motivated?

Very recently we received a tip that a new member was associated with a large chemical/private label bottling plant. Sure enough we traced the IP address to within 3 miles of their facility. This person dropped 35+ threads... most name dropping his company and a new microfiber towel site. Guess what? Members were making buying decision based on the comments of this unscrupulous person. It was nothing less than fraud.

If this is what members want, then we can open the flood gates. Personally, I think most of the membership appreciates that we keep such a watchful eye. We don`t want anyone to be taken advantage of by these would-be bad doers who only care about selling you their bottle of stuff.

I think it is a shame that a handful of people took their toys and went home because they can`t play by the new rules. Nowhere does it say vendors can`t be members and participate. We simply don`t want vendors selling. Vendors can be part of the discussions… but they have to stop selling and dropping their own product names and websites.

wannafbody
07-12-2005, 08:40 PM
thanks for the clarification.

Bobby G
07-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Anytime :)

DSVWGLI
07-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Well said David.

MorBid
07-12-2005, 10:51 PM
Well if the rules are as David stated then I would agree also. I would`ve thought that one of the reasons for this forum was for people to share their personal or professional option/experience on product use and results. Sort`ve like a whole mess of indepenent reviewers.

If someone is getting hit off on the side to pump products or is selling they`re own, that`ll skew the info.