PDA

View Full Version : Removing new paint from old paint?

Rolla
05-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Hey had a Q for my friend since we were arguing... Anyways he is kind of a ricer and had his car painted yellow... Original was silver... He had it done at some cheap place do I don`t know if they even removed or sanded the old paint(you can see the silver in some places where the paint came off like door edges). Also they did not do his door jambs and trunk either...

Welll to make a long story short he wanted to remove the yellow paint and go back to silver... He said sanding would do it, I said doubt it... MAYBE wet sanding? Is there anyway? Or does he just need a repaint?

White95Max
05-20-2005, 10:30 PM
I suppose if they didn`t remove the silver paint (they just painted over it), you could use a heavy polish until you get down to the silver paint again.

I would expect that they would remove the old paint though, then prime it, and apply new paint.

Rolla
05-20-2005, 10:38 PM
I dont think polish would remove it since it seems like a full paint job? Considering he has polished and waxed his car before normally(by hand)... We think it wasn`t sanded since on the corner of the rear door, paint has fallen off from being hit... And you can see the silver right underneath it...

Lowejackson
05-21-2005, 09:14 AM
I am just wondering if you can see the light coloured primer.

Rolla
05-21-2005, 10:37 AM
I will try and post a picture later today so it is easier to explain... Thats the weird part, it doesn`t seem as if they sanded and primered the paint... Or maybe I am wrong, I will just try and get a picture later today!

pardonme2711
05-21-2005, 02:28 PM
more than likely if it was macco type job they just washed the car with steel wool and thats your scuff. has he tried to pressure wash it?

imported_themightytimmah
05-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Yeah, try a high-PSI pressure washer. Aim at the "seams" of the second layer (scuff marks, around trim, etc) and see how much of it blows off. You could follow up with 2000 grit then, or a rotary/wool pad and a heavy compound to "burn off" the yellow layer.

Rolla
05-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Never tried a high PSI washer... I think he went through those auto car washes(he doesnt hand wash)...

Would I have to rotary the whole car then with a heavy compund?

Here is a picture... Sorry it was dark, but otherwise car is yellow and you can see the silver/light blue underneath...

http://img75.echo.cx/img75/5705/paint2qv.th.jpg (http://img75.echo.cx/my.php?image=paint2qv.jpg)

Rolla
05-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Anyone? haha oh well...

imported_themightytimmah
05-23-2005, 12:08 AM
I`d highly suggest sanding before buffing. I can`t say exactly without knowing the thickness of the paint, but on a cheap job like that, you might want to go 1000grit -> 1500 -> 2000 -> rotary/foam cutting pad/Mezerna PG.

If you see blue right away, skip the 1000 and just go 1500-> 2000.

Rolla
05-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Ok thanks bro will try! Should I bother wet sanding with those numbered grits? Or just dry sanding? And lastly should I attempt this by hand?

Thanks again for ur help!

White95Max
05-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Wet.

Sand by hand, but you definitely don`t want to remove the sanding marks by hand.

Rolla
05-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks, oh yea for sure I`ll have to finish up with a PC! I still need to order a PC and other supplies... Will try in a small section to see if it works!