PDA

View Full Version : Can you reduce the GPM on a pressure washer?

The Big Kahuna
05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
I have a Karcher 2500 psi 2.5 gpm pressure washer and would like to reduce the gpm down to 1. Why? I may be getting the CR spotless system and I don`t want to waste the deionized water.

MorBid
05-20-2005, 10:37 PM
My 1600 PSI PW is a Karcher as well. You have a more powerful engine but both require a 2.5 GPM at the inlet.

Some pressure washer`s let you adjust the output pressure but after reading the manual for your`s online I don`t see that mentioned.

The water pressure coming from a faucet in a house is usually somewhere around 5-7 GPM or more depending on the area you live in.

Hook up your PW and crank the tap up to where you usually have it when washing the car (probaly all the way open).

Trigger the gun and adjust the tap down to where you still have enough water pressure to run the machine but aren`t using so much water at the tap.

That just might do it.

Super
05-21-2005, 05:19 AM
It`s called a regulator or a unloader valve if you don`t have then you don`t have a trigger gun, itâ€â„¢s a inexpensive set up. I would install one if you are going to use your PW a lot. What a regulator does is controls the pressure and when you release the trigger nozzle the regulator sends the water in a loop. You can decrease the engine speed that low but that`s not really good for the engine or the pump. Best to buy a regulator or a unloader valve. Decreasing the pressure by turning down the flow from the water fascit, never heard of a PW doing that before. Go to a Pressure Washer service they can help you set it up.