PDA

View Full Version : First Time Claybar

Rynn
05-19-2005, 09:53 PM
We took a stab at claybar-ing my hubby`s car. Before, the paint was really dull, even after a wash and wax it had very little shine to it (the water would bead pretty good but it always looked dirty). This is the result after hand wash, claybar, and just one coat of wax. I`m really impressed :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/countzero2k5/100_0761.jpg

imported_Kraig
05-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Looks good!

Thomas Dekany
05-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Looks very good. What wax do you use?

BigAl3
05-20-2005, 01:00 AM
:up

Rynn
05-20-2005, 11:45 PM
I used the Mothers clay bar kit, it came with the detailing spray and carnuba wax. My hubby and I weren`t holding out much hope that it would help the paint on his car, and were really pleasantly surprised when it turned out as nice as it did! We were starting to think the only thing we could do was take it to a paint place and get them to try and fix it, or repaint.

After the Stratus we did my car, since I just got it back from the body shop (someone hit & ran my car in the parking garage) and there was overspray on it. It took the overspray off my paint, then we went over it with Meguires carnuba. My car is not a year old yet so we didn`t think it needed a really heavy duty paint treatment or anything..

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/countzero2k5/100_0767.jpg

All in all it was worth the sore arms :D

imported_Burlyq
05-20-2005, 11:52 PM
You get the fancy sportscar and hubby gets the cheaper model, hold on to that dude, lol. To me clay is the most necessary product on a detail that doesn`t need polishing. Sometimes I swear I could just clay and the surface will be so smooth the customer would be happy anyway. Which wax did you use cleaner wax, or the new stuff?

Rynn
05-21-2005, 12:51 AM
Matt proposed to me with a model of my car, because it`s the one car I`ve wanted since they first came out, so of course I get the sporty one ;)

I would have to double check, but I think the mother`s was cleaner wax, and the meguire`s was just plain carnuba. I am definitely a believer in the power of the clay!

Happy results with the claybar make me want to do more to my car. I`m still reading up about how to get more depth from my gray paint though.. The color shines up so nice, but it doesn`t seem to lend to very much reflection. I`m slightly envious of the shale green on hubby`s car, especially after it cleaned up so nicely. I have seen AIO + SG, or NXT topped with #16, or UPP over 1Z MP, Menzerna polish, Klasse Z2 Pro... :nixweiss

Lowejackson
05-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Rynn

I`m still reading up about how to get more depth from my gray paint though.. The color shines up so nice, but it doesn`t seem to lend to very much reflection. I`m slightly envious of the shale green on hubby`s car, especially after it cleaned up so nicely. I have seen AIO + SG, or NXT topped with #16, or UPP over 1Z MP, Menzerna polish, Klasse Z2 Pro... :nixweiss

Nice work

Concentrate on the prep and the rest is relatively easy.