PDA

View Full Version : Beads, lasts, layers, and no water marks

BMW645
05-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Subject says it all. I love Pinnacle`s Signature Series, looks beautiful on my car, but one thing I`m unhappy about is that it seems to attract dust. Water marks are a big problem after rain, and the hood of my car looks like someone peppered white petals all over it. When I walked closer, it turns out they were fat water marks from an earlier rain storm. I look around, and I see cars in my neighborhood without any water marks at all, and I doubt they do as much detailing as I do.

I live in New England and the weather this year has been really lame.

I`m looking for a wax that

1. beads water cause it`s cool, and also tells me when to my wax is letting up.

2. lasts, so I have a choice not to wax this month.

3. layers, cause I like to detail my car when I can.

4. Is pretty good about water marks so that I don`t have to wash it after it rains.

Sealants seem the way to go? I`ve read some good things about Zaino, and FMJ, but can they bead water?

I also read some good things about Collinite, but can it be layered? What else can I use?

Also, I like a wet look of Pinnacle, and I`m wondering how much will that suffer if I switch to Zaino, FMJ, any sealant, or Collinite?

Anyways, thanks in advance!

RuffRyder
05-19-2005, 08:26 PM
When you find this wonder product, please let the forum know. I`ll switch over to it right that instant.

I think you can get a combination of these things, but it`s hard to find *1* product that does it all. There is no panacea, but with the right combo of products you might be able to get close.

PCG
05-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Definitely give the FMJ a go. It makes little tiny beads of water for months, goes on and off easily, and looks pretty good too. It held up real well during the New England winter this year as well.

You might consider something that sheets water though, the beads are part of the reason your hood looks like it does.

And yeah, the daily showers in New England rearranging the pollen and dust on my truck are driving me nuts too.

JeffM
05-19-2005, 09:32 PM
EX, EX-P, UPP, FMJ, WG, Zaino, all are top notch product, but they all bead haha.

randomman84
05-19-2005, 09:49 PM
its cuz their not waxed, so the water sheets off... disadvantage to protection i guess. i have the same problem.

BMW645
05-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by JBM

EX, EX-P, UPP, FMJ, WG, Zaino, all are top notch product, but they all bead haha.

I still have a hard time figuring out all these abbreviations. Can you tell me what each of those mean? I know of Zaino and FMJ.

But, what are the others?

Alfisti
05-19-2005, 11:55 PM
UPP = Platinum Ultimate Paint Protection

EX = Poorboy`s EX Sealant with Carnuba

EX-P = Poorboy`s EX Pure Sealant

WG = Wolfgang

If you need more acronyms, go to the home page and at top left click `Secret Decoder Ring`. :up

Rickrack
05-20-2005, 09:53 AM
I would clay bar it, apply a coat of All-In-One and top it with some S100 or P21S. The AIO will provide you with the long term protection and the S100/P21S will give you the shine. The nice thing about the S100/P21S is that you can layer it as much as you want.

imported_SHICKS
05-20-2005, 10:05 AM
I am in New England as well. I have been experimenting a bit and found that for a daily driver in NH I cannot beat the Klasse Twins. I got solid 6 months through a bad winter no problem. The downside is the amount time to apply at least 3 layers for good shine and protection.

AIO + SGx3

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18990photos_369.jpg

This spring I did the AIO + s100 approach, the initial wow factor was great, but it did not last long. Would be a great combo for a garage queen, but not a daily driver.

AIO + S100

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18990bmwrearquaterpanel.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18990s100reflections.jpg

Steve

imported_Qship
05-20-2005, 10:54 AM
I live in NE and I use the Klasse twins topped with Trade Secret. In the winter months, I use AIO mixed with H2O as my QD.

rascoe22
05-20-2005, 01:47 PM
you may want to give liquid lustre a try. it actually sheets the water off. i seen a demo at a auto show here in DC a couple of months ago. i`m waiting for my order to come in now. www.liquidlustre.com

vmunoz
05-21-2005, 05:33 AM
I believe Scottwax had an interesting story a while back about those autoshow demonstrations. Perhaps he`ll chime in.

I`ve never tried the liquid lustre, but I`ve read some accounts from other forums that it is pretty decent in the way of shine and protection, but a little hard to use.

Let us know how you like it when you get it.

V..

rascoe22
05-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by vmunoz

I believe Scottwax had an interesting story a while back about those autoshow demonstrations. Perhaps he`ll chime in.

I`ve never tried the liquid lustre, but I`ve read some accounts from other forums that it is pretty decent in the way of shine and protection, but a little hard to use.

Let us know how you like it when you get it.

V..

will do!!!!

04BlackAV
05-21-2005, 10:00 AM
I feel your pain, not much you can do this time of year. A well waxed car=spots the next day after a heavy dew or shower with all the pollen and dust on the roads.

I`ve switched to using QEW now when I wash, cuts down on the wash time and just makes it easier to wash so I can keep up with it more often.Between my wife and I there`s 2 cars and an Avalanche to keep looking like new and it seems like a full time job!

imported_themightytimmah
05-21-2005, 03:33 PM
IMHO, a New Englander`s best friend is Collinite. I use #915 Marque D`Elegance at the moment because I got it for free, but if I`m paying for it I just use the Doublecoat Insulator wax.

When you get dust spots, just QD with PB`s S+W. If you keep a good coat of Collinite or your LSP of choice, you shouldn`t get any marring. Follow up with S+G or UGE if you`re feeling like a showoff (like I`d ever do that ;)).

The Klasse Twins are pretty effective too, but I *HATE* applying SG. I just can`t seem to get it right. Plus, I have a black daily driver with 107,000 on the clock, so she looks a lot better with a filling/carnuba LSP than a sealant.