PDA

View Full Version : Winshield, to coat or not to coat?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_jazee
05-19-2005, 02:39 PM
I have a brand new Volvo S60R. I put a coat of AIO on it with a Porter cable based on recommendations here. The wipers streaked and chattered. I got a huge rock ding and had to replace the windshield with only 900 miles on the car. Didn`t put anything on the new windshield and the wipers work great. I think putting something on the side and rear windows is a good idea to sheet the water off. But on the windshield, it seems like whenever I`ve used Rain-X or something, it didn`t really have much benefit over just a nice clean windshield. It looks cool to see the water sheeting off, but the visibility is really no better since the wipers are running anyway. In this case visibility is worse with AIO. Could have to do with the fact the car has new high tech wiper blades that they just started putting on the `05 models. There have been complaints from people of streaking but they didn`t mention if they put something on the windshield or not.

I know the bias in this forum SHOULD be to put some kind of product on the windshield after cleaning it - it`s no fun to clean it and leave it alone right? I`m just wondering if anyone else is of the opinion to just clean the windshield and not put Rain-X, AIO, or some similar product on it?

rollman
05-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Lota lookers no takers . Try cleaning your wiper blades . Dirty blades tend to chatter on clean glass.

I treat my windshield as well as my customers and have no problems. I"ll use a sealant like SG on them not AIO as a LSP . I know on my personal vechile I hardly need to use my wipers while driving . The rain just rolls up and off the windshield.

tomstin
05-19-2005, 04:02 PM
From my experience, beats all others hands down! When my family (who only operate motor vehicles) ask "gee dad what did you use on my windshield?" it`s something! http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/default.htm

http://www.autobodydepot.net

tomstin
05-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Oh yea, I also replace wiper blades every year at inspection time. If I don`t, the only time you remember to replace them is when it`s raining and you can`t see! Cheap insurance!!!!!

Accumulator
05-19-2005, 04:14 PM
NO products on the windshield for me, and yeah, I`ve tried them. I just keep the windshield spotless and I replace the blades frequently. I even replace the windshields as they get marred/pitted.

stevet
05-19-2005, 04:57 PM
I don`t put anything on the windshield. I clay it often and use a good glass cleaner with a MF to clean it every wash. Water rolls right off and no steaking or chatter.

JeffM
05-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Ive put NXT, UPP, AIO, blah blah on the windshield, and i love it.

I now try to use something that doesnt dry white though, it will dry white in any pits in the glass.

Prometheus
05-19-2005, 05:48 PM
I have done it both ways, but I generally keep coming back to Rain-x and new wiper blades every so often. Maybe its just my car, or just the kind of blades I buy, but I get no chattering or squeeking or anything with the rain-x applied. My windshield is really steeply sloped compared to many, so at anything over about 35 MPH the rain beads start sliding up the windshield. Like I said, maybe I`m just lucky or found a good combo or something, but thats what I keep coming back to.

Odin Mz3
05-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by JBM

...blah blah on the windshield...

I dont know that product, is it a new one :D . I hope its not too noisy.

Personnaly I keep my windshield clean with clay and use good wiper. I dont have any problem with this way and I`m sure I wont have any bad surprise. Like I already heard.

imported_Sullybob
05-19-2005, 06:23 PM
I have had had really good results with AIO and SG. The water just rolled right off my windshield. Lots of people have had bad experiences with it though.

Tasty
05-19-2005, 07:07 PM
I like good old Rain-X too. Works well for me, and I don`t have to use my wipers hardly either.

imported_jazee
05-19-2005, 07:12 PM
I swear the last time I used Rain-x I got streaking right behind the wipers as they moved across the windshield. Did they improve their formulation or something? I guess I can always just give it a try.

ntoddalbert
05-19-2005, 07:28 PM
I used Rain X for years and its true you get the chattering at times, new blades always helped. I went and bought a bunch of Aquapel on recomendations here but to be honest it didnt out perform rainX at all for me. I find rain X to be much more economical too.

I dont use anything now though, my windshield on a 3 series BMW is just not slanted enough for it to work like it did on my Pathfinder. at highway speeds they both work but im mainly driving 45 and below.

Option 13
05-19-2005, 07:57 PM
I apply Rainx while I`m doing the interior and then when I`m washing the car I just wash the windshield as usual.

I haven`t had any streaking and I hardly ever need to use my wipers.

Rick

JeffM
05-19-2005, 08:07 PM
UPP over AIO is perfect for a windshield. No chaters, no squeeks, no wipers most the time.

At 35 and above, i dont really need the wipers.

There is a cure time, and you can clearly see it on glass. The next day it is gone, pretty cool.

The first time i did my w.s., i used AIO with a polish pad. Well, i got in the car, and it looked like holograms, i was freaking out lol, next day it was gone whew !