PDA

View Full Version : wash after polishing?

Pages : [1] 2

III
05-18-2005, 08:35 PM
After polishing, do you re-wash the whole vehicle before sealing?

I do not, but was curious if anyone does.

tensors22288
05-18-2005, 08:56 PM
i dont, id be worried that something would happen to the perfect paint before i sealed it. but im sure it would help to get all the excess residue an all out of the cracks and crevices

White95Max
05-18-2005, 09:02 PM
No I don`t. The paint is perfectly clean after washing/polishing. Unless you leave it for a couple hours or more, I wouldn`t worry about anything being on the car that would harm it.

TEGBOY
05-18-2005, 09:08 PM
I have always worked under the assumption that the car shouldn`t be allowed to get wet for 24hrs to allow all the polishes to bond properly.

Not sure if this correct, but I have always done it.

Mochamanz1
05-18-2005, 10:30 PM
I don`t think rinsing the car off will do much harm as long as the paint is dried prior to using the sealant. Getting all the particulates off the surface cannot hurt the end product, and Sealants are not that delicate that slight moisture will do much in the way of interfering with the bonding/curing stage,IMHO.:xyxthumbs

Psycho792
05-19-2005, 12:00 AM
wouldn`t you have to if you were using zaino?

spotpad
05-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Before applying the LSP, I would normally do a wipe down with a quick detail spray (Meg`s #34 Final Inspection).

To make it more economical, you can use a 50-50 alcohol/water mixture. Hmmm... Maybe I should do that...LOL

Jeff_M
05-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by tegboy

I have always worked under the assumption that the car shouldn`t be allowed to get wet for 24hrs to allow all the polishes to bond properly.

Not sure if this correct, but I have always done it.

From what I gather thus far, a true polish simply contains abrasives that smooth out imperfections. It won`t leave anything behind that could "bond". Just to be safe, I always give mine a wash to make sure that no polish residue gets trapped between my LSP and my paint. But it could just be me being anal.

Casebrius
05-19-2005, 11:47 AM
If your using AIO I wouldn`t think there is any reason to. If not, I`d be worried there would be a little residue left from polishes.

schwa
05-19-2005, 01:35 PM
So it would be safe to just rinse and dry before waxing?

Rickrack
05-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Jeff_M

From what I gather thus far, a true polish simply contains abrasives that smooth out imperfections. It won`t leave anything behind that could "bond". Just to be safe, I always give mine a wash to make sure that no polish residue gets trapped between my LSP and my paint. But it could just be me being anal.

I agree. I like to give the vehicle a wash before waxing or sealing because I think it bonds to the paint better, rather than having a layer of polish in between the paint & sealant. But like Jeff said, it could just be me being anal ! (It might not help, but it doesnt hurt).

Mochamanz1
05-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Psycho792

wouldn`t you have to if you were using zaino?

It was a general question, so I gave a generalized answer. Actually, at present, I would assume that a person would use a Polish that might leave some dust... Now, as to Sealants, there is no need to rinse for many products, including Zaino.... many sealants leave little if any residue to worry about.:xyxthumbs

Mochamanz1
05-20-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Jeff_M

It is not a bad practice to rinse the paint off and get the powdery residue out of seams, crevices, etc- Each small step in the detail contributes to the overall quality of the appearance when you wrap up. :xyxthumbs

I have seen a lot of very nicely detailed cars with gummed up areas between the paint and the plastic/rubber body and window seals. Also dust can accumulate around insignias and other decorative items and be encapsulated by sealant/s/. If you rinse, IMO, you use your detail brushes less. Anal to me is to ignore doing the things that make it simple so you can use the detail brushes more......... ::rofl

III
05-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Say, after polishing I use a glaze, would those who wash or rinse still do this before sealing? I always thought when someone uses a glaze you don`t want to wash the paint with soap because this would take away the look of the glaze.

Bill D
05-28-2005, 01:15 PM
I`d say yeah, probably. If you feel the need to use a glaze, I see it better applying it after the final wash right before compatible LSP application.