PDA

View Full Version : Wash and wax now, or wait for more products

CletusTheDwarf
05-18-2005, 11:25 AM
I received a lot of detailing products for graduation, but not all of them. Right now i have P21S soap, Meguiar`s ScratchX, and NXT Wax. I am waiting to be delivered Clay Magic Perfect Finish and Meguiar`s Medalion Premium Paint Cleaner.

First question: I really want to wax the car while i have time today, is it worth washing, using scratchX, and waxing it today? Then when the other stuff came in i would probably have to do it all over again, correct? Or is it not worth using scratchX and wax now, and just wash it, doing everything when i have all the supplies?

Second Question: what order should i use the products in? Any tips? This is my first real detailing job.

This is being done on a 4 month od 2005 Subaru WRX. Being a subaru with cheap paint, there were swirl marks there since it came from the dealer. Thanks for helping a noob.

Red Wolf
05-18-2005, 11:35 AM
If you have quality wash mitt(s) and/or sponges and towels(preferably microfiber, I wouldn`t use anything else) then I`d wash and wax it now,get some protection on the paint and hopefully remove some swirls.

1. wash

2. ScratchX

3. NXT

The mitt/sponges and towels to dry with are key things to prevent you from causeing more scratches

CletusTheDwarf
05-18-2005, 11:38 AM
yes, i bought some quality sponges and drying rags from autopia along with the NXT.

when i get the other supplies, i will have to re-do the wax, but not the nxt, right?

can you give me some tips on how to apply scratchX?

if i wash, scratchx, and wax now, when i get the rest of the stuff i will wash, clay, polish, and wax again, correct? no need to use scratchx again.

imported_themightytimmah
05-18-2005, 11:40 AM
I`d do that now, then wait about 3-4 weeks until the wax is getting a little weak, clay it, polish with Medallion, and NXT it again. If you have a Harley dealer nearby, I would highly suggest taking the drive down and picking up some S100. Its only about 15 bucks, the easiest to use wax money can buy, and it doesn`t stain trim. I`d swap it in for the NXT when you rewax in a month or so.

BTW, congrats on your graduation. I asked for detailing stuff for mine too. Got a cyclo:).

Accumulator
05-18-2005, 11:40 AM
If you want to do it, I`d just do it. I can think up all sorts of arguments as to why you should wait, but when it comes right down to it IMO it`s all about enjoying this stuff. You can make it look a lot better with what you have now and then, if something comes up and you`re busy, at least you`ll have done *something*.

Wash it and use the Scratch-X on the worst of the marring. Don`t try to get everthing perfect, try to do a reasonably good job and *enjoy* it. Then use NXT and it`ll look better than it does now. You can always take it to the next level next time. IMO a wash, spot-polishing, and waxing is plenty to attempt the first time.

With the vehicle protected and looking decent, you can work on perfecting it one panel at a time after each wash, keeping it from becoming a huge, overwhelming task.

FWIW, the clear on my WRX wasn`t bad at all. Not *too* hard to work but hard enough that it didn`t get all marred up if I washed it somewhat carefully.

Red Wolf
05-18-2005, 12:24 PM
I second the one panel at a time idea. After the initial coat of NXT you will need to re-apply to any panel/spot you used the paint cleaner or scratchX on since they will remove the NXT. Probably after 3-4 washes/weeks you should re-wax the whole car.

I haven`t used ScratchX so I can`t help there

CletusTheDwarf
05-18-2005, 02:20 PM
is scratchX considered a spot usage product, or to use on the whole body?

RuffRyder
05-18-2005, 02:42 PM
I came across the same problem and I decided to do it while I had the time. Plus having *some* even if minimal protection on it right now is better than having nothing on it. And as was said above, if you`re going to enjoy yourself more if you do something now, then go for it. For my own certainty, I`m going to strip everything down off the paint (probably a good alcohol-solution strip as Dawn washing scares me) and start from bare paint.

imported_themightytimmah
05-18-2005, 02:51 PM
You can use scratchx on the whole body, if you have HUGE forearms and a lot of patience. Its probably much easier to just use it on spots that need it, as using it on the whole body is gonna beat up on you pretty good.

Before I got a PC, I tried to polish out a car with scratchX. I got about 2 panels into it before I said "the hell with this" and just glazed instead (yes, I know I`m lazy:)).

CletusTheDwarf
05-18-2005, 03:56 PM
what is the proper application for scratchx? i just finished washing, selective scratchX`ing, and waxing, and it looks great. However i look forward to claying, it could use it. About the scratchx, is it the exact same application and removal as wax? gently rub onto surface with circular motion, allow to dry, then buff off?

MattZ28
05-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by CletusTheDwarf

what is the proper application for scratchx? i just finished washing, selective scratchX`ing, and waxing, and it looks great. However i look forward to claying, it could use it. About the scratchx, is it the exact same application and removal as wax? gently rub onto surface with circular motion, allow to dry, then buff off?

Work it in thoroughly in front/back/up/down/diagonal motions. Buff off with a microfiber before it dries.

Accumulator
05-18-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by CletusTheDwarf

.. i just finished washing, selective scratchX`ing, and waxing, and it looks great. However i look forward to claying, it could use it.

Glad to hear it looks great! Sounds like you *did* enjoy doing it. While we always talk about "preserving" our cars and "protecting our investment", IMO it`s really about enjoying yourself and the ownership of your vehicles.

I`d wait until the LSP is starting to look like it needs redone before I clayed it. Otherwise you`ll have to "clay through your LSP" which is (IMO) more aggressive than claying oughta be.

CletusTheDwarf
05-18-2005, 05:42 PM
lsp?

i feel i need to clay because i feel stuff on the paint when i run a finger over it, even after just waxing.

Accumulator
05-19-2005, 09:55 AM
LSP= Last Step Product (i.e., "wax").

The stuff you still feel is now beneath the wax you just applied. Hence my advice to wait until the wax needs redone. As it is now, the wax will sorta protect the contamination from the clay, just as the wax protects the paint from the elements.