PDA

View Full Version : there`s gotta be an easier way (scratchx)

thadon
05-18-2005, 12:15 AM
well i spent 2 hours on the hood with scratchx and was only able to get 1/4 of the hood done. the part i worked on looks good but there are still a lot of impurities that look like water marks. i am using a microfiber applicator and rubbing as hard as i can. do i need a more aggressive polisher?

Black240SX
05-18-2005, 02:17 AM
I know the feeling. I tried to do my car with scratch-x, and concluded my arm would fall off before I got it done.

I ended up getting a Porter-Cable polisher, and can highly recommend it. :xyxthumbs

braindead
05-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Try a foam pad. I get the best results from a clean new foam pad. And really work in the product, a good dollop / blob. It does work if you do!!! The only drawback is the time needed to do larger portions of your car... MF pads seems to introduce marring on my cars paint... :xyxthumbs

imported_Sullybob
05-18-2005, 08:57 AM
After polishing out my badly swirled 94 Toyota Corolla by hand I bought a Cyclo to do my Expedition. It took me all day to polish my Toyota by hand and my arms were exhaused. If you can, save your money and get a PC or a Cyclo. These are both great tools that will save you time and save your arms:)

imported_ajbarnes
05-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Scratch X works very well with minor paint transfer marks, swirls, and scratches (like the ones you find by the door handle area). More intense scratches, defects (etching, water spotting, etc.), and swirls need more aggressive polishes, PC/Rotary/Cyclo, clay barring, and possibly advanced detailing methods such as wetsanding, use of certain chemicals, etc.

Kool_ZX3
05-18-2005, 02:46 PM
So is it that hard to use scratchx where your arm is almost falling off after not even half the hood get`s done?

imported_Sullybob
05-18-2005, 03:39 PM
My arms were very tired after buffing out my car. I didn`t use scratch X for the car I used 3M. You could ask Scottwax about polishing by hand, he didn`t get a PC untill recently (I think less then a year ago)

Kool_ZX3
05-18-2005, 03:53 PM
What process is usually followed with scratchx? How is it used?

pin
05-18-2005, 04:16 PM
You`re supposed to apply the product more than once to the same area. The abrasives break down as you work the product.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1516

thadon
05-18-2005, 08:43 PM
yup i was testing the product. i went over a small area with water spots many times (tried maybe 5 times) but they never went away.