PDA

View Full Version : Some REALLY newbie questions.

grapejuice12
05-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Hi, I sorta stumbled across this site and am interested in bringing my much neglected car to an original shine. It`s my daily driver at 98k miles in under four years, always parked outside, and have often times driven through the automatic carwash. I`m starting to research my process and had a few clarifying questions.

1) I want to start detailing my car this weekend and I dont know if ordering PC pads online will come in time. What`s wrong with the polishing pad that comes with the PC that I am planning to buy at Lowes? Is it too harsh for my needs?

2) When people say they are applying extra coats of wax after 24 hours, are they rewashing the car in between waxings? Since my car is parked outside, I`m worried about gathering dust.

In terms of my process...

1) Wash w/ NXT

2) Clay

3) Rewash

4) ScratchX- by hand

5) AIO - w/ PC

6) NXT paste - by hand

Should their be separate polisher between steps 3 and 4? Anything else I should add?

Thanks for the help.

Jeff_M
05-17-2005, 11:48 AM
I don`t know much about the white pad that comes with the PC, except for stories of pitiful results when attempting to use it on an automobile finish. I didn`t even bother.

I would definitely rewash between coats of wax. No question that you want to get rid of any and all dirt/pollen/debris (even if it appears invisible).

As for your process, I am a bit confused. Do you mean SwirlX or ScratchX? Why are you using products designed to be used by hand when you have the perfect tool for polishing in the PC. Get some Meguiars #80 or Poorboys SSR2.5/SSR1 and you can get rid of swirls/scratches without having your arm fall off. I would wash before applying AIO after polishing. Lots of dust will be left behind and possibly some residue.

PS - Enjoy your rejuvenated paint and treat it right (no tunnel washes).

grapejuice12
05-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Oops..sorry, yeah scratch x. Is online the only way to buy pads? Has anyone had any luck with purchasing them locally.

Accumulator
05-17-2005, 12:09 PM
grapejuice12- Welcome to Autopia!

This probably isn`t what you want to hear :o but I`d do a bit more research before you jump in head-first. Download and read the e-book, for instance.

A good start (at least IMO) would be to try washing the vehicle properly (a lot harder/more complicated than it sounds, but of vital importance), claying it, and doing it with a one-step product, even a storebought cleaner wax (some Mother`s Clay kits come with a decent cleaner wax). You could add the Scratch-X, using it on the worse of the marring. That will be at least a full day`s work and will get you more intimately acquainted with the whole concept of "proper detailing". It`ll also get your vehicle looking a lot better than it has previously.

A few answers to your specific Qs:

The pad that comes with the PC is truly junk. It will mar your paint. Don`t use it on your vehicle.

Some autobody/paint supply places will sell pads.

If it sits outside, wash it every time you`re gonna do anything to it (like apply more wax).

grapejuice12
05-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks, I will do just that this weekend.

Wash, clay, cleaner wax. And the probably do the entire process in a month while I do more research with the PC and other detailing products. So I should hold off on using the AIO till next month?

I`ve also got an 8" Black&Decker RO polisher with a polishing bonnet laying around. Is this safe enough for the cleaner wax?

imported_Gears
05-17-2005, 02:03 PM
A RO polisher? In a word no. Next I guess you`ll tell us you are going to use a wool bonnet.

I sure your car is marked up from the years of neglect but don`t do any more damage to it by rushing ahead with your detailing.

Take your time and explore this site, there is a lot of information here.

I know I`ve been detailing cars for many years and I still don`t feel confident enough to use an Rotory buffer.

Not the thing you want to start out with.

Accumulator
05-17-2005, 02:05 PM
You could even use the AIO *as* the cleaner wax. It`ll provide some protection and you can always re-apply if after a wash it it seems like it needs it (yeah, it really is *that* easy to use).

You could try the B&d RO to apply product if you have a foam pad for it, but I wouldn`t use the terry cloth ones; they can mar paint. Some online vendors (forget which ones) sell MF bonnets for units like that, those might be worth a look. Maybe try TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html) or Classic Motoring Accessories (sorry, no link handy).

Red Wolf
05-17-2005, 02:59 PM
by RO polisher do you mean random orbit? If so I am guessing compared to The PC it is under powered and will not be of much use.

grapejuice12
05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
yeah...random orbit. i think i`ll just ease into this by doing it by hand. thanks for all the helpful replies.

imported_Denzil
05-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Honestly man, don`t rush it. I had the same urge when I was totally new to this detailing hobby of mine. Yet, I still admit that I am fairly new to this game. One of the worst possible things you can do in this hobby, and in life in general, is jump into things you quite aren`t certain of.

Trust me. Do your research. It will pay off. It took me about 2 months of research (just about every day) to find out what I should start with.

Here is a link (http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53317) to what I started with.

Good luck with that! :wavey