PDA

View Full Version : Clay Tips Needed Please

95greenbird
05-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks to this site, I`m learning a lot about keeping my cars looking nice. I`ve read the Autopia Guide to Detailing several times in the last couple weeks and have learned a lot. Last weekend, I:

Washed my 95 Thunderbird with Meguire`s Deep Crystal Car Wash

Clayed with Perfect Magic clay

Washed again

Used Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner

Deep Crystal System Polish

Waxed with Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax

It made my car shine like it never has since I owned it. This weekend, I will probably do the same to my 95 Ford Explorer but I have some questions. The Explorer has pinstripes and vinyl graphics on the doors. Is it ok to run the clay over these or should I avoid them?

It also has a chromed plastic grill insert. I know that I need to use a plastic type polish like PlastX to make it shine but is it ok to use clay on this also?

imported_DetailGirl
05-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Hello and welcome.

I personally would test the clay on the pin stripe and graphic in a small area where in the event that damage did occur, you could live with it. I have clayed over pin stripes before but not graphics. I guess IMO I do not see the point of going over the graphic. I would just wash it really good and use what ever you normally use as your non-abrasive product over it. Something like your cleaner wax. I would try and get my hands on a polymer for some extra protection and a purer wax like Megs #26, one that doesnt have a cleaner in it.

imported_DetailGirl
05-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Opps the chrome plastic, you can use clay on this, just treat it like it is paint and make sure its clean and use lots o lube.

95greenbird
05-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks. I wasn`t sure if the clay would be too aggressive for these surfaces.

the other pc
05-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi 95greenbird, :welcome to Autopia.

No problem claying the surfaces of decals. I do believe you want to look out for the edges. I try not to clay "up onto decals". Same for clear bras too. I clay along them and either away from the edge or off the edge.

PC.