PDA

View Full Version : spot claying

Intercooled
05-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Will light spot claying remove my LSP? I like to remove some tough bug spots and tar spots every once in a while.

imported_themightytimmah
05-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Depends on the LSP, but I`d have to say no, if you go easy and use alot of lube. It`ll remove a little bit, but there still should be some protection behind, if only used to remove bugs and tar.

Accumulator
05-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Intercooled- I do this all the time (literally with every wash) and while it will *eventually* make a dent in your LSP (think spots that get clayed over and over), it doesn`t take off much. The trick is to do it gently enough that your clay "cleans the LSP" rather than "cleans the LSP off the paint". From what I hear, I must clay more gently than most people, so only do what you have to do to get the [stuff] off the LSP.

IIRC, Sal Zaino said that it`ll take off "about half a layer" of Zaino, if that helps any.

imported_Jinba ittai
05-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Today I applied a coat of NXT to my Honda`s paint. There was NO wax on the paint after the long winter. Rain was threatening for the afternoon so I decided to just apply the NXT and was able to get the entire car done. Paint still felt rough so I clayed the fender. Wow! What a difference! I got the hood and other fender clayed and applied another coat of NXT before the rain came.

What`s left is the top and doors. The rear hatch and quarter panels were repainted a month ago and just received a coat of 3M glaze. I plan to clay the rest ASAP. Should I apply another coat of NXT? I did put another coat of NXT on the hood and it looks great.

I`m glad I did clay because it did the trick. Should`ve done it before applying the NXT. :(

jocktheglide
05-15-2005, 05:30 PM
claying is awesome it got the road paint off my darn car thats for sure had to do some elbow rub, it got it.

imported_Jinba ittai
05-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Yep, I was impressed how the surface of the paint went from rough to smooth with just a single claying. I didn`t realize how much the paint needed it after the winter. I look forward to claying the rest of the car ASAP.