PDA

View Full Version : Counter weight and backing plates

gav'spurplez
05-14-2005, 11:45 PM
hey guys, when i ordered my PC from coastal tool it came withthe backing plate, and i changed the counterweight to the 6 ( for the 6 in pad )

now i just received my sonus pad kit and i`m going to swap for the flexible backing plate. my question is, do i change the couterweight back ??

i have been using the CMA pads with the solid backing plate, and the sonus pads seem larger,

thanks

a.k.a. Patrick
05-15-2005, 12:19 AM
I always tell my friends, and its actually my own rule of thumb, that you should match the CW with the BP. The 6" CW & BP should be used for pads over 7.5". This is also according to some distributors who sell the 7424, that Im familiar with.....

There are some who will say that it makes little difference, I tend to disagree.

gav'spurplez
05-15-2005, 12:23 AM
i guess when i was shopping around, and when i bought the sonus pads, i did not realize what size they were, i guess i need to go and check that out

gav'spurplez
05-15-2005, 12:26 AM
it says, that the sonus orange pad is noticeable "softer" than yellow cutting pads ( such as CMA which i have used with IP )

yet it achieves the same results without the dulling. i have not experienced any dulling when using the yellow pad.

i guess i`ll try SSR2.5 with both the yellow and orane pad and see which one is better. i like the idea of the orange pad, since is is softer.

we`ll see, tomorrow

Mochamanz1
05-15-2005, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

I always tell my friends, and its actually my own rule of thumb, that you should match the CW with the BP. The 6" CW & BP should be used for pads over 7.5". This is also according to some distributors who sell the 7424, that Im familiar with.....

There are some who will say that it makes little difference, I tend to disagree.

I use small washers to fine tune the PC ( with the 6" counterweight), very little vibration on 6 as a result.:xyxthumbs

Accumulator
05-15-2005, 12:38 PM
I used to swap the backing plates when I used smaller pads (especially 4" ones). Then I left one PC set up that way all the time. But these days I just use the 6" weight with every combo and I haven`t had any problems. Heh heh, when my older PC needed service I was using the "right" weight/plate combo. Now that I`m doing it "wrong" neither one is acting up :nixweiss

I always wonder whether we need to "stay inside the lines" when using the PC for auto polishing. It seems like a very different situation from finish sanding...