PDA

View Full Version : Couple Q`s about microfiber towels...

Pages : [1] 2 3

toconnx
05-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Do I really need specialized microfiber towels (i.e. specific ones for drying, buffing, cleaning, etc.) or can I just pick up a bundled pack of microfiber towels and use them for all purposes? I realize that specific weaves will be better at certain tasks, but I`m on a terribly strict budget and is there any serious risk or downside to just using regular microfiber towels as opposed to specialized ones? Also - is it safe to buy like wal-mart bundles of microfiber towels or should I stick to known name-brands?

Wasatch
05-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Buying higher quality MFs is the way to go for your paint care. The one`s at WalMart really suck, but I guess you could use them for door jambs, wheels, tires. Get yourself a nice Waffle Weave, a few Plush MFs for QDing/LSP removal, and a few for Polish/Glaze removal and some for interior/glass care.

imported_series1
05-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Go with what John said. That would have been my advice.

Intercooled
05-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by series1

Go with what John said. That would have been my advice.

I agree also..

Pak Shak has some MF`s. Their Ultra Plush MF`s have 2 sides, one being thicker and plusher and the other finer. Its like 2 towels in one. I really like these towels, the finer side removes polishes and waxes and plusher side is nice for QDing and buffing. This may help out your budget!

JeffM
05-14-2005, 09:25 PM
I started off buying Walmart towels, a towel is a towel right lol.

They still come in handy, but they dont go near my paint, although im not sure if they ever scratched.

There is just a certain satisfaction holding one of the plushest towels on earth to wipe your car down with lol.

Want to give yourself sometihng special, get the concours buffing towel from autopia....man o man, :)

imported_JellyBean
05-14-2005, 09:57 PM
I`m definitely in the minority here, but I`ve been using the plusher blue towels from Walmart for my paint with no problems whatsoever. Shoot, I use them to wipe my plastic prescription glasses too. I use waffle weaves from WCD for drying, and the Walmart MFs (with some Costco and Sams Club towels thrown in there too) to remove the AIO, SG, and #26. Never had a problem with scratches or micromarring or whatever. (I keep a separate set of similar towels for the dirty work, however.)

MS22
05-14-2005, 10:34 PM
I use the yellow MFs from Sams for grunge work and the more plush blue ones from Sams on my paint without any problems. I do have 10 Pakshak WWs and 15 Ultra-fines for drying and buffing but for the most part the Sams one do just fine. I can not see spending $4 per towel when I keep ~200 around at all times. Also, I have tried the Sams yellow and blue towels on black paint, sungalsses, CDs, and never any marring at all.

BigAl3
05-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MS22

I use the yellow MFs from Sams for grunge work and the more plush blue ones from Sams on my paint without any problems. I do have 10 Pakshak WWs and 15 Ultra-fines for drying and buffing but for the most part the Sams one do just fine. I can not see spending $4 per towel when I keep ~200 around at all times. Also, I have tried the Sams yellow and blue towels on black paint, sungalsses, CDs, and never any marring at all.

agreed. i just bought another blue 18 pack of mf`s from sams club today and i`ve used them with the other more expensive mf`s i have, with no problem at all.

J.J.
05-15-2005, 09:30 AM
This comes-up after I spend $60 buck at PakShak.....Gheess!

However, the quality may not be all that different... dunno, but I think you are paying for the quantity of time you can use them. SOme indicate they have used there PakShaK towels for two years or more. HOwever, if you can buy Sam`s Club towels cheaper and they don`t mar the paint, I guess you can just buy new ones every summer and do just fine. I have yet to use my PakShak towels, but I`m looking forward to it.

JJ

attomica
05-15-2005, 09:30 AM
I`m sure the more expensive, "plusher" MF towels feel nicer in your hand, but I have a hard time believing they do anything better than those you can buy at Sam`s, at least for anything except drying. I have a stacks of Sam`s MFs... for product removal, for window care, for door jambs, and for wheels. For drying, I use the Excel Pacific Blue WWs. People can get all wrapped up in the different stuff out there, but you can achieve the same results more economically.

tensors22288
05-15-2005, 11:40 AM
any1 familiar witht the 16 pack of yellow MF towel they sell at Costco? i believe there called Eurow or something. they about 1 foot by 1 foot. these any good?

BigAl3
05-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by tensors22288

any1 familiar witht the 16 pack of yellow MF towel they sell at Costco? i believe there called Eurow or something. they about 1 foot by 1 foot. these any good?

i went to both costco & sams club and i didn`t like the feel of the yellow eurow mf`s compared to the blue ones (feel thicker/plusher/nicer) at sams club.

Intercooled
05-15-2005, 01:32 PM
I bought the yellow MFs from Sams last year. They feels the same, look the same, but just are not the same as my more expensive Paks. The Yellow one leave lint for me. It drives me crazy. I call them my "rag" MF`s. I use them on wheels, door jams and the such. A year later they have held up fine though. And yes, a year later they still leave lint fibers!!:mad:

stogie1020
05-15-2005, 01:56 PM
It would be interesting to know what color car people are using the less expensive MF on.

I think that if you have a white or silver car, and use a less expensive WalMart/Costco/Sams MF you may be very happy with the reults, and never see any micro-marring or scratching. If, however, you have a black or deep red car, you may notice some micro-scratches or swirl marks if you use the less expensive cloths.

If you have a car color that is prone to showing defects, I would HIGHLY reccomend using high quality MF cloths for the paint. Doorjambs, trunk seals, etc... are a different story...

Just my .02

PakShak
05-15-2005, 02:50 PM
Aloha All,

I say use what works for you. There are many MFs in the marketplace so try a few from different places and stick with the one you like.

Happy Detailing!

With Aloha,

Ranney :)