PDA

View Full Version : Experience with sonus clay

yauc
05-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi all,

Why does the sonus clay turned soft and sticky after 1 application?

tia

Lowejackson
05-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Sounds normal to me

Nick M
05-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Hi :wavey

What lubricant are you using......Sonus Glyde or something else?

I had an issue with the breakdown of my clay after I used a certain shampoo/water mix, this made the clay soft and sticky after a few minutes and left residue all over the place. I changed the lubricant solution and it stopped this happening (after I binned the first lump of clay.)

Lowejackson
05-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Sorry I must have misinterpreted the question. So far I have used Sonus with Zaino QD and Sonax shampoo without any problems.

yauc
05-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Nick M

Hi :wavey

What lubricant are you using......Sonus Glyde or something else?

I had an issue with the breakdown of my clay after I used a certain shampoo/water mix, this made the clay soft and sticky after a few minutes and left residue all over the place. I changed the lubricant solution and it stopped this happening (after I binned the first lump of clay.)

Yup, thats what happen to mine, but i was using sonus glyde. Am waiting for david to reply. Thanks

01bluecls
05-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Wow, I have a totally different expeirence I guess. I have used the Sonus Clay three times and found that it is extremely hard to roll and knead unlike mother`s clay. Anyone else have this. I have tried putting the clay in hot water and that would make it soft like it should be but then after the clay cools down its back to being rock hard.

J.J.
05-15-2005, 09:27 AM
I`d like to know what DavidB says. I too have a SOnus Clay bar that I will be using in a month or so. If it fall apart and leaves residue everywhere, I won`t be pleased either.

I have experience with Clay Magic only. Arguably, It used to be the least expensive and best clay you could buy. I found the Sonus Clay and Clay Magic lube on Autopia for a great price and decided to give it a go. Like I said, keep us posted.

JJ

Accumulator
05-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Only issue like this I`ve had with Sonus clay was with certain lubes. It works OK with a weak mix of Griot`s wash, but if you do more than spot-clay I`d use the Glyde. It *can be* a bit stiff, I sometimes keep it wrapped in aluminum foil and in my pocket when washing, that way it stays soft for spot-claying.

mtwedt
05-15-2005, 01:56 PM
I`ve never had any problems with my Sonus clay...the only time I had residue was when I didn`t have enough car wash solution on the car, I clay with washing and a quick wipe with the sheepskin corrects that. I`ve not noticed it being unusually sticky, but I cut mine into 4 pieces. I do remix a small batch of wash solution to lube with and remold the clay to expose clean surfaces with the clay held over the bucket and even in the wash solution to minimize the possibility of dropping it on a dirty surface. I use a tepid wash solution temp, which may help with the kneading. Cutting the bar into smaller pieces makes claying take a bit longer but you don`t run the risk of trashing an entire bar if it is dropped.

harvey
05-15-2005, 02:25 PM
I have been told by chemists that claying paint is something at should be done only rarley, if at all.. Meaning once every several years. It can be done earlier if the paint is badly damaged. Claying removes paint and should only be done by someone with expereince and a soft touch. Any thoughts.

Accumulator
05-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by tabinha

Claying removes paint and should only be done by someone with expereince and a soft touch. Any thoughts.

Well, I certainly agree with the "soft touch" advice. The experience seems to come pretty fast, this is a rather easy skill to master. As for the rest of what you were told:

My gentle "spot claying" doesn`t even remove an appreciable amount of LSP, much less any paint. I`ve been doing this ever since "detailing clay" came out and I`ve never had any problems, even on cars that I`ve kept for a long time.

When I do a "regular"/sorta-aggressive claying on single stage, I hardly get any paint transfer at all, and that`s on very soft paint. So IMO it can`t be all that aggressive. I get far more paint transfer with *very* mild polishes. And the ss paint cars I`m referring to are/were in the family for 20 years or more so I have a long-term perspective.

There`s "claying" and then there`s *!CLAYING!*, if you get my drift.

Oh, and Welcome To Autopia!

TortoiseAWD
05-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by tabinha

I have been told by chemists that claying paint is something at should be done only rarley, if at all.. Meaning once every several years. It can be done earlier if the paint is badly damaged. Claying removes paint and should only be done by someone with expereince and a soft touch. Any thoughts. I`d say the chemists you spoke to have been thoroughly misinformed as to the nature of automotive clays. Claying with "fine" clay (the type typically found OTC, Meg`s, Mothers, Clay Magic blue, etc.) and sufficient lube should remove NO paint. None.

Tort

J.J.
05-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by TortoiseAWD

I`d say the chemists you spoke to have been thoroughly misinformed as to the nature of automotive clays. Claying with "fine" clay (the type typically found OTC, Meg`s, Mothers, Clay Magic blue, etc.) and sufficient lube should remove NO paint. None.

Tort

I absolutely agree. Someone has seriously misinformed you about Clay. I only clay my vehicles twice a year; after winter and after summer. The Northern winters can be very hard on pain, therefore I spend most of time claying when summer arrives.

I would assume Autopia sold Sonus clay with the Clay Magic lube for a reason. I hope the mixture is perfect and therefore eliminates any problem that was mentioned in this thread!

JJ

Bobby G
05-16-2005, 11:01 AM
This issue (mushy clay) has been addressed before. In general, detailing clays will not break down and get mushy, unless:

1. You let the clay soak in a bucket of soapy water

2. You use a detailing spray that contains a high content of alcohol

3. It`s a very warm day

In general, I recommend using small portions of clay. Give your clay a break if it`s a hot day (let it dry and use another portion).

Other than that, there is no reason any clay available today should break down. One note... fine clays do seem to mush-out faster than heavy-duty clay.

TortoiseAWD
05-16-2005, 12:04 PM
David,

I`ve found that folding too much moisture into the clay can lead to the squishies, too. Since I`ve started tapping the clay on my shirt or a MF to get rid of excess moisture before folding the dirt to the inside, I`ve never had a recurrence of mushiness.

FWIW, I`ve never had a problem with the either of the Sonus clay formulas; it was Clay Magic blue and a Zaino bar that I`ve had turn spongy on me.

Just another data point,

Tort