PDA

View Full Version : SG curing time

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pb2theMax
05-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I`m wanting to put several coats of SG overtop of the AIO, but I only have about 2 days to get it all done before I have to go back to work and get the truck dirty again (steel mill). How long should I let each coat of SG cure before adding another coat? Do I have to wait a full 24 hours?

imported_themightytimmah
05-13-2005, 07:43 PM
You could try 12 hour intervals. There`s no guarantees, but I`ve done it before and it seemed to work out ok.

Pb2theMax
05-13-2005, 10:08 PM
What happens to the SG if you don`t wait long enough? And is there a way to actually tell when it is cured?

Mochamanz1
05-14-2005, 01:41 AM
If you rub your finger through the SG and it smears, its not cured. If you dont wait, you have a smeary ,hard to remove layer, also putting it on too thick causes problems in removal.

foxtrapper
05-17-2005, 09:23 AM
SG cures in a few minutes. In fact, if it`s thinnly applied, it`s cured in a few seconds. But, some folks like to leave it in place for hours on end before apply the next coat. No observable benefit to this, but some folks like it.

Glossmaster
05-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I`ve always waited a minimum of 12 hours just to make sure the SG has cured.

Odin Mz3
05-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by foxtrapper

SG cures in a few minutes. In fact, if it`s thinnly applied, it`s cured in a few seconds. But, some folks like to leave it in place for hours on end before apply the next coat. No observable benefit to this, but some folks like it.

Can I ask where you take that from, any good proof or only your feel . Almost everyone on that forum seem to agree SG idealy need a 24hr cure time and a minimum of 12hr if your in a hury.

Alfisti
05-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Curing is different to drying.

SG dries in a few minutes, but, like any sealant, curing happens at a molecular level and can take 12-24 hrs.

OJ_GTI
05-17-2005, 10:43 AM
I think there`s confusion here about the definition of "cure".

When I apply SG I remove it almost immediately with a MF. I try and ensure that when I do this it won`t be raining in the next 24 hrs. That`s what I classify as my "cure" time. However, if I needed to add an extra coat I wouldn`t worry about doing it 12 hours later.

Others are leaving the product on for 12/24 hrs before removing and that`s what they mean by curing.

Alfisti
05-17-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by OJ_GTI

I think there`s confusion here about the definition of "cure".

Others are leaving the product on for 12/24 hrs before removing and that`s what they mean by curing.

Yes there is confusion. :D

From my understanding of chemistry, curing is the process by which a product chemically hardens, becomes stable, and inert to external chemistries, for example, water.

The chemical hardening happens on a molecular level and can`t be seen (unlike drying, which is simply the carrier component evapourating). It doesn`t matter whether product residue is left or removed...it still has to go through the same curing time.

The same is true for paint, nail polish, silastic, concrete, etc.

If a product is layered before the base is cured, it will simply reliquify it and true layering won`t be achieved.

That`s my understanding, anyway...but I`m frequently wrong.

Superblackbird
05-17-2005, 11:17 PM
There`s so much of a contradictions on this curing time.What if you drive in a rainy day.Does that mean you`ve to reapply your KSG?Pls verify.

imported_Intermezzo
05-18-2005, 01:05 AM
No, it just means the crosslinking or hardening process of the product`s polymer resins was compromised a bit. The product will be fine, it just won`t be as durable as it could have been had it been exposed to rain AFTER it was fully crosslinked into a highly structured chain of repeating molecules (which is what a polymer is by definition).

foxtrapper
05-18-2005, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Odin Mz3

Can I ask where you take that from, any good proof or only your feel . Almost everyone on that forum seem to agree SG idealy need a 24hr cure time and a minimum of 12hr if your in a hury.

Some lab type studies. Far different than the feel aproach used by most everyone on the forum that it needs 24 hours to "cure". ( I chose to pick up your implied slur and run with it :) )

Alfisti
05-18-2005, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by foxtrapper

Far different than the feel aproach used by most everyone on the forum that it needs 24 hours to "cure".

:think:

imported_SHICKS
05-18-2005, 01:22 PM
So if I use a QD like EO WnS or NXT Speed Detailer between layers, am I hampering the ability of the next layer to bond to the previous? What If I use QD to remove the haze before it cures? I have to detail my car outside and don`t have a usable garage to keep it in while adding SG layers, so wash or QD is needed between each layer.

Steve