PDA

View Full Version : total Newbie

Whiteboy247
05-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Hello i`m a newbie to this and was after some advice, i plan to detail my car in a week or so and was wondering if this was the correct order.

I plan to wash with Megs NXT and dry with drying towel then claybar the car.

After that i plan to use Swissol paint cleaner then after that go over with Klasse SG and to finish off the body use Swissol Smaragd Concours Wax.

Is this any good??

Thanks

Kevin

Here is a picture of my car at the moment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/whiteboy/2005_0502Image0004.jpg

kleraudio
05-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Your car looks good man!

That combo sounds alright, ive never used Swissol products. One recommendation:

Instead of using the Swissol paint cleaner you might want to try Klasse AIO since your going to be using the SG. From what I hear its a really good combo.

Jim

Lowejackson
05-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Welcome to Autopia Kevin :xyxthumbs

It is not necessary to dry the paint before claying. As kleraudio mentioned, maybe AIO (or Carlack) would be a better bet to work with the SG.

What condition is the paint in?

Whiteboy247
05-14-2005, 11:44 AM
The paint is in good condition apart from needing a claybar. Is it ok to claybar the whole car, i can just feel slight bits on the paint when i rub the back of my hand across it.

I went for the swissol cleaner because it is coming with a starter kit and was recommended to me. I might look into the AIO but have to order it from the States. Basically i`m after a real Concours ( Wet look) from my paint, so anything i can do to achieve that will be brilliant.

Thanks for your replies, i remember when i was getting stuck with when to use a MF cloth, now it`s a whole new world, good Fun though.

butchdave
05-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I think you will find that Serious Performance has AIO in stock at the momement and that will be quicker and easier than ordering from the States.

I don`t think that Concours and wet are at all the same :) But if you already have products then play with them first, then you can start doing some research into alternatives. It will at least give you a basis of comparison.

Whiteboy247
05-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Ah thanks for that Butchdave, i`ve just emailed Alex at serious Performance to see if he has some.

See told you i was new, i just wanted to try and describe the finish i was after and thought that was correct, it`s definately `Wet Look` i`m after.

What would be the correct way of going about doing my car, do i need to leave some of the products on for a certain amount of time or do repeated layers?

Sorry for all the questions but you guys know so much and i want to learn how do to it properly and get the finish that i`ve seen on your cars which look FANTASTIC by the way!!!

Thanks

Kevin

2000firebird
05-14-2005, 12:52 PM
but why silver mirrors?

jetskie
05-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I never knew it was so hard to find Klasse in the UK. I figure it would be easier since Germany is not that far away. I know that Klasse is a favorite of Porsche owners, so you might want to check some Porsche dealers as the many in the states carry it.

Whiteboy247
05-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Ah the mirrors are from when i had different wheels fitted, they were painted silver with Gold Pearl so the mirrors were painted to match. I just haven`t got round to respraying them back to black yet?

I didn`t know about Klass until i was reading `The Perect shine` bit in the free detaing book so i don`t know where stocks it yet but i have some of the SG coming and hopefully will be able to obtain the AIO here.

Kevin

Lowejackson
05-14-2005, 04:16 PM
You can buy Carlack 68 here in Blightly which is basically the same thing as AIO

As for the wet look, this really comes from the prep stages before using a LSP. A short term solution is to use a glaze (ie One Grand or VM)